[comp.lang.c] Problem with dbx

vrm@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) (10/25/90)

   I am linking with code that someone else is developing and he has
directories organized with seperate develop and release source
directories.  When he gets his code to a satisfactory level he places
the library and sources in the release directory so that he can
continue working in the develop directory without affecting me.

   The problem is that sometimes I want to trace through his code, but
dbx insists on using the sources in the develop directory.  I have
tried the 'file' command to tell it to look in at the source in the
release directory, but dbx responds with:
warning: File `release/src/filename.c' has not been compiled with the -g option
It then continues to use the source in the develop directory.

   Is there a way to tell dbx to use the file anyway.  I suppose I
could solve this problem by making him compile the code after coping
it to the release directory, but I figure there must be a way to do
what I want.

-- Vasile

nts0302@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Bob Fisher) (10/25/90)

From article <942@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by vrm@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan):
}
}    The problem is that sometimes I want to trace through his code, but
} dbx insists on using the sources in the develop directory.  I have
} tried the 'file' command to tell it to look in at the source in the
} release directory, but dbx responds with:
} warning: File `release/src/filename.c' has not been compiled with the -g option
} It then continues to use the source in the develop directory.
}
}    Is there a way to tell dbx to use the file anyway.

Our implementation of dbx uses a "-I dir_name" to add a pathname to the
list of directories that dbx searches to find source files.  I don't know
if this is what you mean by the "file command".

Since the code you are borrowing is still under development, ask your
friend to compile it with the -g option like the message says.

--
Bob Fisher
US Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center

michi@ptcburp.ptcbu.oz.au (Michael Henning) (10/26/90)

>From article <942@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu>, by vrm@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan):
>}
>}    The problem is that sometimes I want to trace through his code, but
>} dbx insists on using the sources in the develop directory.  I have
>} tried the 'file' command to tell it to look in at the source in the
>} release directory, but dbx responds with:
>} warning: File `release/src/filename.c' has not been compiled with the -g option

There is a "use" command in dbx, which you can use to set a number of paths
to be searched for source files.

						Michi.
--
      -m------- Michael Henning			+61 75 950255
    ---mmm----- Pyramid Technology		+61 75 522475 FAX

eric@wdl47.wdl.fac.com (Eric Kuhnen) (10/26/90)

vrm@cathedral.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Vasile R. Montan) writes:

>   I am linking with code that someone else is developing and he has
>directories organized with seperate develop and release source
>directories.  When he gets his code to a satisfactory level he places
>the library and sources in the release directory so that he can
>continue working in the develop directory without affecting me.

>   The problem is that sometimes I want to trace through his code, but
>dbx insists on using the sources in the develop directory.  I have
>tried the 'file' command to tell it to look in at the source in the
>release directory, but dbx responds with:
>warning: File `release/src/filename.c' has not been compiled with the -g option
>It then continues to use the source in the develop directory.

>   Is there a way to tell dbx to use the file anyway.  I suppose I
>could solve this problem by making him compile the code after coping
>it to the release directory, but I figure there must be a way to do
>what I want.

Unless I've missed my guess, dbx will use code that has been compiled,
even without the -g option.  It's just that you won't be able to see the
source while you're debugging.  Now if continues to use the source in the
development directory, perhaps the development directory object code is still
being used.  I suggest recompiling the whole thing in `release/src/' yourself.
You may have to modify your "make" file to reflect the new directory,
assuming that you are using "make" in the first place.

"Q"