[comp.lang.c] Introductory C Texts <SUMMARY>

ferrick@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) (10/23/90)

A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:

1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
   --------------------------

2. MicroSoft C Programming for the IBM-PC - (Robert LaFore & The Waite Group)
   --------------------------------------

3. MicroSoft C Bible - (Barbakatiti)
   -----------------

4. C: The Complete Reference - (Herbert Schildt)   ISBN 0-07-881263-1
   -------------------------

5. First Book on C - (Kelly & Pohl)
   ---------------

This represents the order (by numbers of proponents!) of the five texts
that I recieved votes for.  This is all the information that I got...no
other claims made!!!!

Pat
   ____
  /\T B\   Patrick K. Ferrick / KA2AYK       |  Heaven's net casts wide;
 /  \E S\  ferrick@acsu.cc.buffalo.edu       |  Though its meshes are coarse,
 \  /   /  219 Computing Center              |  Nothing slips through.
  \/___/   State University of NY at Buffalo |  {Lao Tzu}

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (10/23/90)

ferrick@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) writes:

>A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
>I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:

>1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
>   --------------------------

	This is a good _reference_ book, but I would not recommend it for a
beginner trying to learn C by reading.

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.035556.4068@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

   ferrick@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) writes:

   >A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
   >I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:

   >1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
   >   --------------------------

	   This is a good _reference_ book, but I would not recommend
   it for a beginner trying to learn C by reading.

I beg to differ.  It is written for people who already know
programming concepts, as is clearly stated in the foreword or
introduction, but it contains enough good exercise material to
be quite a good text book.  I've used it for courses in C, and
found that familiarity with the reference material in the back
was very useful for the students after the course.

Good textbooks don't just fade away.

--
[Erik Naggum]		Naggum Software; Gaustadalleen 21; 0371 OSLO; NORWAY
	I disclaim,	<erik@naggum.uu.no>, <enag@ifi.uio.no>

jamiller@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Jim Miller) (10/24/90)

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:

>ferrick@acsu.buffalo.edu (patrick k ferrick) writes:
>
>>A while back I posted asking for advice on a good C text, and since
>>I promised to post a summary of the results, here goes:
>

>>1. The C Programming Language - (Kernighan & Ritchie)
>>   --------------------------
>
>	This is a good _reference_ book, but I would not recommend it for a
>beginner trying to learn C by reading.
>----------

I thought it was VERY good for a beginner (me, several years ago).
Far better than many other tutorials.  15 pages per concept puts me to sleep,
I perfer to spend my time understanding a concept as opposed to spending
my time trying to *find* the concept.

Of course I was not a beginner programmer, just a beginner C-coder.

However, for me, I think it would have been an excellent beginner text --
definitely better than the IBM reference manuals I used in order to learn
FORTRAN IID and IBM 1130 assembly language.

   jim miller
   jamiller@hpmpeb7.cup.hp.com
   (a.k.a James A. Miller; Jim the JAM; stupid; @!?$$!; ... )
   Anything I say will be used against me ...
   But my company doesn't know or approve or condone anything of mine here.

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (10/27/90)

In article <5940042@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com>, jamiller@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Jim Miller) writes:
> I thought it was VERY good for a beginner (me, several years ago).
> Far better than many other tutorials.  15 pages per concept puts me to sleep,
> I perfer to spend my time understanding a concept as opposed to spending
> my time trying to *find* the concept.
>
> Of course I was not a beginner programmer, just a beginner C-coder.

Aha!  Another type-D reader on the net!  (ref. my post last week
about type D and type I readers)

Please do not attribute these remarks to any other person or company.
                                   email: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA    +1 216 371 0043