[comp.lang.c] Turbo C Librarian

svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) (10/24/90)

I have Turbo C, but none of the documentation that goes with it, and I can't
figure out how to use the Librarian (tlib.exe).  Could someone please explain
it's functions to me?   Befor you ask, yes, I do know that if you just type
tlib with no parameters, it gives you a help screen.  I don't find the help
particularly helpful.  So could someone please educate me, through private
e-mail, please?  Specifically, I would like to know if I can use TLIB to create
my own libraries of functions, and how I would do that.

Thanks,
Steve L Vissage II
svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (10/25/90)

In article <11120@hubcap.clemson.edu> svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) writes:
>I have Turbo C, but none of the documentation that goes with it, and I can't
>figure out how to use the Librarian (tlib.exe).

And why don't you have the documentation?

Is it by any chance a pirated copy?

>particularly helpful.  So could someone please educate me, through private
>e-mail, please?

This sound suspicious.  In private email?

--
Internet: einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and throw
UUCP: ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs in the waste basket!!!!"

General Surgeons warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!

kooijman@duteca (Richard Kooijman) (10/25/90)

svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) writes:

>I have Turbo C, but none of the documentation that goes with it, and I can't
>figure out how to use the Librarian (tlib.exe).

Well it is described in the reference manual.

Richard.

brianh@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (brian_helterline) (10/25/90)

svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) writes:
>I have Turbo C, but none of the documentation [rest deleted]
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	I would return it for a full refund if it didn't come with
	documentation. :)

John.Passaniti@f201.n260.z1.FIDONET.ORG (John Passaniti) (10/27/90)

 > From: svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II)

 > I have Turbo C, but none of the documentation that
 > goes with it, and I can't figure out how to use the
 > Librarian (tlib.exe).

     I'm sure that if you are the legal owner of the
compiler, Borland would cheerfully send you the manuals.
My boss lost all his manuals in a fire, and Borland, after
verifying his proof of purchase, sent out the manuals
without a complaint.

--
*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*
John Passaniti - via FidoNet node 1:260/230

svissag@hubcap.clemson.edu (Steve L Vissage II) (10/30/90)

Hello, everyone.  I'm the author of the original post about turbo c.

>Gee, I REALLY hope I can help you...
>
>You're really an a$$hole, posting a message to a world-wide newsgroup,
>the subject of which is the C language (NOT SPECIFIC C COMPILERS OR
>LINKERS), publicly stating that you are having a problem using pirated
>software.

I do not recall saying that.  What I said was, "I have Turbo C, but none
of the documentation that goes with it."  While this is not entirely
accurate, it is much easier than an honest-to-god explanation, but if
you want one, read on.

I don't have a PC.  The Turbo C belongs to my Uncle.  When I discovered
he had it, I happened to be trying to learn C.  I started using his TC.
He has all the electronic documentation, which I have read, but it doesn't
explain TLIB well enough.  As I explained in e-mail to someone who was
nice enough to ASK if I had a pirated copy before he either helped me or
flamed me, I didn't want to write to you and say, "I read it, but I'm too
damn stupid to figure it out."  I was in a hurry, I said I didn't have ANY
documentation.

What about the printed docs, you say?
  Me:  Do you have the manuals for Turbo C?
 Unc:  Were there any?
  Me:  I'm sure there were.
 Unc:  Sorry, it's been a while since I bought it.  But I must have them,
       I didn't throw anything away.
  Me:  Can I use them?
 Unc:  Sure.  You wanna poke around, see if you can find them?

At this I declined.  If you saw my Uncle's house, you would, too.  He's a
pack-rat, and it would take much more time than I have to devote to it.

So, I turn to the great and good comp.lang.c of Internet for wisdom and
guidance.

>If you don't find the god-damned help screen helpful, go out and
>purchase the software and read the documentation that comes with it!

I thought I'd better explain myself before some of that wisdom and guidance
called the FBI.

It took me 20 lines to explain why I don't HAVE the documentation, 20 lines
of completely wasted bandwidth and reading time to anyone NICE ENOUGH TO
HELP!  I still think "but not the documentation" was, on the whole, better.

>I hope this 'educates' you.
Ditto.

>Judging from your display of common sense,
>it may take a while for this to sink in.

On this one, I'm afraid I can't complain.  It never occurred to me that I'd
be accussed of pirating.  I appologize to anyone who need an appology.  (Those
being the polite, helpful, and scholarly, not the flamers.)

I would like to thank those who sent me useful information.  You know who you
are.

To the individual who wrote the above, which was by far the most vicious flame
I received, I can only thank you for doing it privately.  I will reciprocate
by leaving your name off this reply.

There, is everyone happy?

Steve L Vissage II