[comp.lang.c] Changing /tmp/c*??

poepping@sei.cmu.edu (Mark Poepping) (10/31/90)

--

Pardon the naive question, but..

Under typical UNIX cc compilers (stock vendor or gcc):
Can I change the tmp directory for C compilations?
I'd rather not change the default size of '/' or point
/tmp to /usr/tmp.  Replies to me please, I can't keep
up with this list.  Thanks.

--
Mark Poepping				poepping@sei.cmu.edu
Software Engineering Institute

bhoughto@cmdnfs.intel.com (Blair P. Houghton) (10/31/90)

In article <9286@fy.sei.cmu.edu> poepping@sei.cmu.edu (Mark Poepping) writes:
>Pardon the naive question, but..

Well, yes, but it gives me a chance to advise you to
kindly RTFM in the future; you knew enough to think of
gcc, but not enough to check out the manual page, which
would of course be the only certain source of information
for this sort of question (it's certainly where I checked
MY answer).  You never know what sort of BS you'll get off
the net (know what I mean?).  Many people are going to
misunderstand your question (do you really want to use temp
files, or could you do without?), many others will answer
it identically but insufficiently (like now), and the rest
are going to browbeat you for posting it (more like now).

>Under typical UNIX cc compilers (stock vendor or gcc):
>Can I change the tmp directory for C compilations?
>I'd rather not change the default size of '/' or point
>/tmp to /usr/tmp.  Replies to me please, I can't keep
>up with this list.  Thanks.

Try the -pipe switch for gcc.  RTFM for what it means.

				--Blair
				  "And have a nice compile.  C-:"