[comp.lang.c] YACC for the PC

yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) (11/06/90)

Hello,
	I am currently developing some test tools and would like to know if yacc
    and lex are available for AT style PC's. It would also be acceptable to
    transfer the files created by yacc from a Sun to the PC if this is possible.
    Any information would greatly be appreciated. If there are any other parser's
    available, I would also be interested information about those as well. I do
    need the parser to be somewhat portable, the tool may be used on both PC's
    and Sun's. The parser, if not yacc, nust be easy to learn and easy to modify
    the language defined. Thanks for the help.

--
Mark A. Yedinak - uunet!motcid!yedinak 		*  "Don't take life too
Motorola - General Systems Sector		*   seriously, you will

jamiller@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Jim Miller) (11/07/90)

MKS sells yacc and lex.

jimb@hpmcaa.mcm.hp.com (Jim Belesiu) (11/07/90)

Mortice Kern Systems (519-884-2251) sells a PC version of YACC and Lex.  Also,
I have seen a GNU version of YACC (called Bison?) and Lex floating around
on BBS's.

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (11/07/90)

In article <4423@catfish11.UUCP> yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) writes:
>Hello,
>	I am currently developing some test tools and would like to know if yacc
>    and lex are available for AT style PC's.

The find the answers to questions like these, check the software
catalogs from vendors who market to programmers, like "Programmer's
Connection". These vendors advertise where you would expect them
to, in rags like: (_Computer Language_, _Dr. Dobb's Journal_) that
most PC software developers read.

For example, Programmer's Connection Spring 1990 catalog lists
"MKS LEX and YACC" by MKS (Mortice Kern Systems) for $198 ($249 list)
on page 106. So go grab yourself a recent copy of _CL_ or _Dr.D_ and
start punching those 800 numbers.

If you want to take your chances with unsupported software, you can
anonymously ftp to wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) and check the
collection there. A quick grep of the file listing for the string
"yacc" shows some possibilities:

mirrors/msdos/txtutl/lex_yacc.arc
mirrors/unix-c/languages/berk-yacc.tar-z

Oh, and please: when you cross-post to local newsgroups, please
insert a Followup-To: line in your header redirecting followups
to the right place. Most people who read comp.lang.c can't followup
to your local newsgroups.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

reinemnn@motcid.UUCP (Philip A. Reinemann) (11/14/90)

yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) writes:

>Hello,
>	I am currently developing some test tools and would like to know if yacc
>    and lex are available for AT style PC's. It would also be acceptable to
>    transfer the files created by yacc from a Sun to the PC if this is possible.
>    Any information would greatly be appreciated. If there are any other parser's
>    available, I would also be interested information about those as well. I do
>    need the parser to be somewhat portable, the tool may be used on both PC's
>    and Sun's. The parser, if not yacc, nust be easy to learn and easy to modify
>    the language defined. Thanks for the help.

	Mark Williams Co. makes a UNIX product for PCs.  It's called
Coherent UNIX.  Supposedly it includes yacc and lex, and alot of other UNIX
"tools" (ie, ls is a "tool", not necessary UNIX, as in "UNIX kernel").

	Coherent also lets one run standard DOS stuff.
	I'm not sure it runs under DOS, or if DOS runs under it.

	It costs $99.95, and requires 10Meg of disk (but then, what UNIX
doesn't?).  They claim it's smaller and faster than System V.

	I don't have the ad handy, but it's in most PC type magazines, and you
can always call them for more info on just the yacc part.  They are down
Lake Cook Road, by Skokie Blvd, in Northbrook.

	You might also try the C User's Group.  If you need more info on them,
call me.
	Hope this helps!  Good luck.

		Phil Reinemann

yedinak@motcid.UUCP (Mark A. Yedinak) writes:
>	I am currently developing some test tools and would like to know if yacc
>    and lex are available for AT style PC's.

Alan Holub's book "Compiler Design in C", Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-155151-5
includes descriptions of Lex and Yacc lookalikes.  To quote from the book,
"All of the source code in this book--along with executable versions of LeX,
LLama, and occs--is available on disk from:
	Software Engineering Consultants
	P.O.Box 5679
	Berkeley, CA 94705
	+1 (415) 540-7954
The software is available right now for the IBM-PC and UNIX.  ... The cost
is US$60 by a check or money order drawn on a US bank.  ... The UNIX USENET
network is the official channel for bug fixes and general discussion of the
material in this book.  The comp.compilers newsgroup should be used for this
purpose."

My only connection with all of this is that I bought a copy of the book.

--
The problem about real life is that moving one's knight to QB3
may always be replied to with a lob across the net.  --Alasdair Macintyre.