[comp.lang.c] MS-DOS C compiler selection

murray@gatech.edu (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) (11/15/90)

I am trying to make a decision on a C compiler to use in an MS-DOS
environment to communicate with the Oracle DBMS.  They tell me that they
support either a Microsoft 6.0 or Lattice C interface, and I am trying to
commit one way or the other.  I had planned to go with Microsoft C 6.0 until
I recently heard some disgruntled users' complaints.

Does anybody have some experience with either of these compilers/companies
that might help me make this decision?  The issues are:

- Must interface to ORACLE on MS-DOS
- Must be able to distribute (and support) the compiler in Europe
- Must be able to run on a system with 150 MB of disk and 4 MB of ram
- Must not exceed $1000.00 purchase price

Thanks in advance.

Murray Hertz
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@iecc.cambridge.ma.us or
{ima | spdcc | world}!esegue!compilers.  Meta-mail to compilers-request.

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (11/16/90)

In article <126@bwilab3.UUCP> bwilab3!murray@gatech.edu (Murray W. Hertz, Jr.) writes:
>I am trying to make a decision on a C compiler to use in an MS-DOS
>environment to communicate with the Oracle DBMS.  They tell me that they
>support either a Microsoft 6.0 or Lattice C interface, and I am trying to

Oracle Corp. *plans* to support Microsoft 6.0, but all they do now is
5.01. As you know, Microsoft C 5.01 is almost unavailable, so if you want
to go the Microsoft route, you'll be in a bind for a little while.
--
Patrick Draper
buster.cps.msu.edu