[comp.lang.c] Coding Standards - enforcing rules is an overkill

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (11/20/90)

In article <jdarcy.658951398@zelig> jdarcy@encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:
>dbc@bushido.uucp (Dave Caswell) writes:
>>rules like having a single entrance and exit point are good
>>ones.  They should be written down and strictly enforced.
>
>Blech!  Consider the following example [...]

  My words exactly! But, as an artist once said, describing his style:
"You've got to know the rules to know when to break them".

  Having single exit-points is a good guideline, but it shouldn't be
enforced. Same goes for using goto's, making macros containing
specific variable names etc - sometimes it just *is* the best
solution, also aesthetically.%

  Richard

% no, I've never used a goto in C  :^)
--