[comp.lang.c] Preprocessing #ifdef but not #define

thomson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson, MACC) (11/20/90)

I'm sorting through C code loaded with #ifdef statements for portability.  I'd
like to strip the code down to a version that applies to my operating system
and configuration so that I can read through it but don't want to preprocess
all the #define statements, as I'd like to see the #define mnemonics in the
stripped down code.  I don't see any options for the C preprocessor that will
allow me to preprocess #ifdef's but not #define's.  Is there an easy way to do
this?

----- Don Thomson ----- MACC, 1210 W. Dayton, Madison, WI  53706 -------------
    (608) 262-0138      thomson@macc.wisc.edu / thomson@wiscmacc.bitnet

bad@atrain.sw.stratus.com (Bruce Dumes) (11/21/90)

In article <4769@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> thomson@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Don Thomson, MACC) writes:
>I'm sorting through C code loaded with #ifdef statements for portability.  I'd
>like to strip the code down to a version that applies to my operating system
>and configuration so that I can read through it but don't want to preprocess
>all the #define statements, as I'd like to see the #define mnemonics in the
>stripped down code.  I don't see any options for the C preprocessor that will
>allow me to preprocess #ifdef's but not #define's.  Is there an easy way to do
>this?

If you have Gnu emacs, you can use the hide-ifdefs command.  It's
pretty handy.  You can define whatever you want, and all the undefined
"#ifdef"s will look something like:

	#ifdef FOOBAR ...
	#else
		printf("I am not a foobar\n");
	#endif

--
Bruce Dumes			|  "You don't see many of *these* nowdays, |
bad@zen.cac.stratus.com		|   do you?"				   |