[comp.lang.c] integer representation

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (11/24/90)

In article <14518@megatest.UUCP> djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>From article <3764@skye.ed.ac.uk), by richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin):
>) The intention is to allow 2s and 1s complement.
>Makes you wonder why the hell they didn't say that, doesn't it?
>I think standards committees must take courses in wind-production.

The standard says what X3j11 intended to say about this.  Note that
Tobin's paraphrase is inaccurate.  Sign-magnitude representation is
also permitted.  The terminology in the standard relies on the ANSI
dictionary to supply the meanings for technical terms not defined
in the C standard; the terminology used was exactly what was meant.