[comp.lang.c] a secular response to the religious conflict

dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) (12/10/90)

In article <27304.27610742@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> arritt@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>One of the frustrations of practicing scientists who are genuinely
>interested in learning about C (or any other potentially useful
>computational technique, for that matter) is that it's difficult to
>get information that is both objective and understandable.

I have been trying to find and study all books which attempt to
present C language programming, or C program examples, to scientists
and engineers who are likely to have a background in FORTRAN. So far,
I have located only the following titles. Would the readers of these
newsgroups kindly recommend others, if any exist? I've already scanned
a few on-line card catalogs, but my list can't be exhaustive.

Press, et al. _Numerical Recipes in C: the Art of Scientific Computing_,
Cambridge University Press 1988.

Kempf, J., _Numerical Software Tools in C_, Prentice-Hall 1987.

Baker, L., _C Tools for Scientists and Engineers_, McGraw-Hill 1989.

Baker, L., _More C Tools for Scientists and Engineers_, McGraw-Hill 1990.

Books specific to particular engineering or scientific disciplines would
also be useful.

--
Dan Mocsny				Snail:
Internet: dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu	Dept. of Chemical Engng. M.L. 171

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/11/90)

In article <6910@uceng.UC.EDU> dmocsny@minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
>I have been trying to find and study all books which attempt to
>present C language programming, or C program examples, to scientists
>and engineers who are likely to have a background in FORTRAN.

The absolutely best C tutorial for already experienced programmers
who don't know C (are there any left?) is Kernighan and Ritchie's
"The C Programming Language"; in most cases the Second Edition is
preferred.

C is so much more suited to general applications than Fortran that
limiting one's attention to science/engineering applications would
produce a quite imperfect understanding of how to exploit the language.