[comp.lang.c] Math Formulae

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (12/29/90)

This doesn't have to be done in C necessarily but I know this is where
all the smart programmers hang out...

I have a number of involved calculations to make (sets of them for various
conditions) and I wondered if there is a way to approach this besides
dozens of SWITCH statements and IF...ELSE and all the other conditionals ?

Particularly useful would be the ability to have it "read" like one would
describe the problem in English but I don't expect that.

For instance :  cost is 3% of total unless total is greater than $1000 then
cost is 3% of the first $1000 and 2% of the balance.  A minimum charge of
$20 applies.

Know what I mean ?  Is there a math library or a programming discipline
that I could apply here ?

Many thanks.

tom

In article <1990Dec29.073901.1810@pegasus.com> tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) writes:
> This doesn't have to be done in C necessarily but I know this is where
> all the smart programmers hang out...

Then your article is not appropriate for this group.

  [ how to make programs ``read'' like English ]
> For instance :  cost is 3% of total unless total is greater than $1000 then
> cost is 3% of the first $1000 and 2% of the balance.  A minimum charge of
> $20 applies.

cost = 0.03 * total;
if (total > 1000.00)
  cost = 0.03 * 1000.00 + 0.02 * (total - 1000.00);
if (cost < 20.00)
  cost = 20.00;

---Dan

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (01/02/91)

In article <18444:Dec3104:13:5090@kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd@kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:

>cost = 0.03 * total;
>if (total > 1000.00)
>  cost = 0.03 * 1000.00 + 0.02 * (total - 1000.00);
>if (cost < 20.00)
>  cost = 20.00;

Dan,  Thanks for "solution" I obviously didn't phrase my query correctly as it
wasn't _that_ particular problem I was interested in solving it was the
problem of solving whatever business formula was required.  Some start with
a base commission depending upon monthly sales with minimums and maximums and
10 companies can calculate it 10 different ways.  I'm trying to avoid being
a "formula maintainer" for the rest of my career.

A few people have suggested that I write my own little math formula processor
and that sound like the solution... a sort of SQL for math problems.

I also accidentally (I stand behind the 5th amendment to the Constitution)
posted my message as a follow-up to someone elses thread and while I'm
sorry I did it it seems irreversible at this point.

tom