[comp.lang.c] BETA TESTERS WANTED

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (01/08/91)

THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN POSTED AS A FAVOR:

==================================BEGIN=====================================

To:	UNIX Developers in need of a Version Control System

From:	Joelle DuFort, Soulution Systems
	372 Washington Street
	Wellesley, MA  02181
	Phone:	(617) 431-7445
	FAX:	(617) 431-8419

Date:	December 27, 1990

Subj:	Beta Panel for UNIX Version Control System

I am looking for beta testers fo "Sourcer's Apprentice", the version
control system for the professional.  This product is developed and
published by Solution Systems, the publishers of "BRIEF".  The ideal
beta test candidate uses a Sun 3 or SPARC Station, and is willing to
be part of an active, dedicated beta panel.

Sourcer's Apprentice is a system for managing changes to program
source code.  As you develop and maintain your programs, you use
Sourcer's Apprentice to:

    *	Track each change made to a program source file
    *	Document each change
    *	Recreate the source file as it existed at any point in time
    * 	Prevent simutaneous updates to the same source file
    *	Group modules to ensure that you apply a change to all the
    	related source files that require it
    *	Organize the source files that belong to a particular project
    *	Secure source files saved on a file server from unauthorized
    	access and updates

Programmers who are developing applications singly or as part of a
group in a networked, multi-developer enviornment, can benefit from
using Sourcer's Apprentice.

                Sourcer's Apprentice Features:

    *	Better organization and security during the development
    	stages.

    *	Reverse differences storage - Sourcer's Apprentice only
    	saves the differences between versions, which saves you
	valuable disk space.

    *	You never loose access to past revisions or versions, so if you
    	need to access version ".91" instead of your current version,
	Sourcer's Apprentice can retrieve it by building the
	differences it has saved.

    *	We give you the ability to block access to the module you've
    	checked out so that others can't work on it simultaneously.
	This feature is called locking.  Whenever you check out a
	module for modification, Sourcer's Apprentice locks the
	storage file so that no other user can check out the same
	module for modification.  The module is still available for
	read-only access, but the lock prevents two users from
	updating the same module simultaneously.

    *	We provide the ability to compare any pair of versions of a
    	module and have the differences between the versions
    	highlighted.

    *	Lets you manipulate related modules or releases as a group.
    	This grouping feature ensures that you apply a desired change
	to all the related source files that require it.

    *	You can generate reports on groups or releases and can add to
    	and remove modules from a group or release at any time.

    *	Lets you track and document each change made to a program
    	source file.

    *	The branching feature allows you to perform alternate lines
    	of development on modules.  An alternate line of development
	branches from the main sequence of module development.  You
	may want to create a branch if, for example, a module requires
	operating system specific code in order to be ported to another
	operating platform.  The branch is stored in the same storage
	file as the main sequence, but is given a distinct version
	number.

If you are chosen to participate in our beta panel, as an expression
of our appreciation, you will receive a complimentary copy of the
product when it is released.

Please call me at: (617) 431-7445 or fax me at: (617) 431-8419 for
more information.  Thank you.

Cordially,

Joelle M.T. DuFort
Soulition Systems
372 Washington Street
Wellesley, MA  02181
Phone:	(617) 431-7445
FAX:	(617) 431-8419

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650