[comp.lang.c] Missing C library functions in INTERACTIVE 386/ix 2.0.2?

hugh@fivegl.co.nz (Hugh Grierson) (01/09/91)

In article <1991Jan6.165120.23958@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
>As quoted from <10325@bunny.GTE.COM> by jdg0@GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez):
>+---------------
>| My libc.a seems to be missing the functions defined in regcmp(3) (regcmp
>| and regex).  I tried the shared library version with no luck. Nm does not
>| find it in either one.  Any ideas?  Cheers,
>+---------------
>
>They can't find it because it's not in libc.a.  It's in libPW.a.  Try loading
>with -lPW.
>
>(Warning to SCO UNIX users:  SCO moved them to libc.a, which means you have to
>watch out when writing programs under SCO UNIX that are intended to be
>portable to other platforms.  (Not to mention the bug that causes them to only
>work when linked by the cc command, but not by rcc, gcc, etc.)  Sigh....)

I was bitten on our SVR4 - it's in libgen.a.  Good grief.

This is on an ICL DRS6000 [SPARC], running ICL's port of SVR4 - I don't know
who is responsible for the change... but apparently ICL is responsible for
the definitive SPARC port for AT&T.  Maybe someone can confirm or clarify
this for me.

Ta muchly.

--
Hugh Grierson         | hugh@fivegl.co.nz  | This space intentionally
5GL International Ltd | PH:  +64.9.3021621 |    left non-blank.

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/11/91)

As quoted from <1991Jan9.045512.13620@fivegl.co.nz> by hugh@fivegl.co.nz (Hugh Grierson):
+---------------
| In article <1991Jan6.165120.23958@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) writes:
| >As quoted from <10325@bunny.GTE.COM> by jdg0@GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez):
| >+---------------
| >| My libc.a seems to be missing the functions defined in regcmp(3) (regcmp
| >| and regex).  I tried the shared library version with no luck. Nm does not
| >+---------------
| >
| >They can't find it because it's not in libc.a.  It's in libPW.a.  Try loading
| >with -lPW.
| >
| >(Warning to SCO UNIX users:  SCO moved them to libc.a, which means you have to
|
| I was bitten on our SVR4 - it's in libgen.a.  Good grief.

Well, I just found out that the SCO UNIX "bug" was caused by two formerly
***STATIC*** (in SVR3.1) functions moving to libintl.a.  Sheesh.

Where does real honest-to-AT&T SVR3.2 put the regexp stuff?

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN