[comp.lang.c] A good & SIMPLE "C" textbook for beginners??!!

audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com (01/30/91)

In article <1958@winnie.fit.edu>, ecs91510@zach.fit.edu ( ALIM) writes:
> Hello all you C whizes out there!! ... I am looking for a
> simple C (not turbo C) book that is meant for a beginner!! I would be greatful
> if someone recommends me a good book. Thanks!!!

A C whiz I aint; that's why I like _C_Primer_Plus_ by Mitchell Waite, Stephen
Prata and Donald Martin published by Howard W. Sams & Company.

This is a common book used in beginning C classes.

Hope this helps.

John Coffman

ecs91510@zach.fit.edu ( ALIM) (01/30/91)

Hello all you C whizes out there!! I just started to learn C. I wrote my
first program in Cand believe me it was hell. All the program had to do
was read some numbers from a file, store them in an array and compute their
average (a typical 9th grade level program). However, none of the books
that I had told me how to start writing a program. I had to ask people what
the hell to do. At times I felt like an idiot. Anyway, I am looking for a
simple C (not turbo C) book that is meant for a beginner!! I would be greatful
if someone recommends me a good book. Thanks!!!
                                            Junaid
                                            E-Mail : ecs91510@zach.fit.edu

kwade@hp-vcd.HP.COM (Ken Wade) (02/01/91)

/ hp-vcd:comp.lang.c / audit038@spacm1.spac.spc.com /  9:05 am  Jan 29, 1991 /
In article <1958@winnie.fit.edu>, ecs91510@zach.fit.edu ( ALIM) writes:
> Hello all you C whizes out there!! ... I am looking for a
> simple C (not turbo C) book that is meant for a beginner!! I would be greatful
> if someone recommends me a good book. Thanks!!!

A C whiz I aint; that's why I like _C_Primer_Plus_ by Mitchell Waite, Stephen
Prata and Donald Martin published by Howard W. Sams & Company.

This is a common book used in beginning C classes.

Hope this helps.

John Coffman
----------

I think that either "Programming in C" by Stephen G. Kochan or "A Book On C"
by Al Kelley and Ira Pohl are appropriate.  They are both used in introductory
courses in C.  The Kochan book is notable in that presents a small complete
program to illustrate each new feature or concept.  It teaches by example.

Ken Wade
HP-Vancouver

mikeg@wrs.com (Mike Gallagher) (02/01/91)

ecs91510@zach.fit.edu ( ALIM) writes:

>Hello all you C whizes out there!! I just started to learn C. I wrote my
>first program in Cand believe me it was hell. All the program had to do
>was read some numbers from a file, store them in an array and compute their
>average (a typical 9th grade level program). However, none of the books
>that I had told me how to start writing a program. I had to ask people what
>the hell to do. At times I felt like an idiot. Anyway, I am looking for a
>simple C (not turbo C) book that is meant for a beginner!! I would be greatful
>if someone recommends me a good book. Thanks!!!
>                                            Junaid
>                                            E-Mail : ecs91510@zach.fit.edu

I would recomend "Master C" I can't remember who the author is.  It's a C
reference book and a GREAT tutorial program that took me about 2 weeks of
8 to 5 work to go through.  It really teaches you C with out pain.  They have
you write programs and program segments right off the bat and have lots of help
and notes.  I have never taken a course in C and this helped me get my present
job.  You can get it for about $25 at Price Club or $45 at a regular bookstore.

avery@netcom.UUCP (Avery Colter) (02/03/91)

If you've had some experience in other programming, like BASIC,
then I can say I've been getting some nice stuff out of QUE's
"Using C". It's a modern style book on the subject, starting out
with ANSI style programming and giving caveats about what you might
see when viewing or converting to the more primitive dialects.
Much of the stuff in this book is not very pertinent to me right now,
because I'm using an Apple II GS with Orca/C and the book is mainly
IBM-style oriented. But the ANSI standard parts of the language are the
same for either.

--
Avery Ray Colter    {apple|claris}!netcom!avery  {decwrl|mips|sgi}!btr!elfcat
(415) 839-4567   "I feel love has got to come on and I want it:

abed@saturn.wustl.edu (Abed M. Hammoud) (02/03/91)

	A very good book, that I used to learn C is "A BOOK ON C", by
	Al Kelley & Ira Pohl. After finishing this book I also read
	K&R Ansi book. I though these two books were all what I needed
	to get started. I recommend them highly.

	good luck...

	| Abed  M. Hammoud			abed@saturn.wustl.edu|
	| Washington University.	        office:(314)726-7547 |
	| Electronic Systems & Signals Research Laboratory.          |
	| Dept. of Electrical/Biomedical Engineering.		     |
	| St.Louis Mo U.S.A                                          |