[comp.lang.c] D-type and I-type

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown) (02/21/91)

In article <s64421.666449403@zeus>, s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) writes:
> On the contrary.  Too many textbooks and instructors in the more
> esoteric universities deliberately teach programming in an etherial
> style which bears no relation to the actual world.  Thank heavens
> C books avoid this.  In fact, and this is my main point, IT IS
> VERY MUCH HARDER TO START WITH THE ABSTRACT AND MOVE TO THE CONCRETE
> THAN TO START WITH THE CONCRETE AND MOVE TO THE ABSTRACT.  That is,
> teach by examples!  THEN show the principles behind them.

This works for you; great.  But it works best the other way for me.

A few months ago, the last time we had the which-C-book-is-best religious
argument, I pointed out that there are D-type and I-type thinkers.

D-type (deductive) like to see the principles, then maybe one example.
They thrive on working out the implicatuions of general principles
stated as concisely as possible.  I-type (inductive) prefer the style
you mention above.

Nerither is right or wrong.  It is most effective for D-type persons to
have D-type books (like K&R) and D-type instructors, and for I-type
persons to have I-type books and instructors.

My observation is that the majority (80-90%) of persons are I-type.
Since I'm D-type, when I wrote manuals I wrote D-type manuals and
couldn't understand why sso many people didn't read what was right there
on the page.  It was years later that I realized the problem: I was
writing D-type manuals for an audience of predominantly I-type readers.

It's okay to have these religious discussions, but let's remember that
there is not One True Answer (TM).

Hey--this is all my opinion, nobody else's. Rely on it at your peril.
                                   email: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, USA    +1 216 371 0043

jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) (02/21/91)

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown) writes:

[...]

I could very well be wrong, but I think that most programmers are
D-type.  If so, it follows that D-type books are the best to use
in teaching programming to programmers and the I-type books are
best for teaching "concepts of programming" to non-programmers.
Ergo, the choice of book should be based on which group of
students are the target.

--
Jerry Gitomer at National Political Resources Inc, Alexandria, VA USA
I am apolitical, have no resources, and speak only for myself.

In article <1175@TALOS.UUCP> jerry@TALOS.UUCP (Jerry Gitomer) writes:
> :My observation is that the majority (80-90%) of persons are I-type.
> I could very well be wrong, but I think that most programmers are
> D-type.

Look, this argument is silly. If you spend some time on examples and
then present the general concepts, everyone will be happy, though if
there are indeed any ``D-type'' people then they won't get anything out
of the examples. If you *don't* present examples, you'll be screwing
over all ``I-type'' people. So use examples.

This discussion is no longer relevant to C.

---Dan