[comp.lang.c] documenting programs-- any suggestions?

davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") (02/20/91)

Hi,

   I am writing a plotting package that I want to document.  I am currently
working on a manual for the program using LaTeX.  However, I would also like
to have online help.  Has anyone created a tool to use one source to generate
a (La)TeX file as well as a help file?  I know that the people at GNU have a
system (texinfo) which relies relies on emacs info mode for the online help.

Thanks,
--
John

  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (02/21/91)

John> Has anyone created a tool to use one source to generate a
John> (La)TeX file as well as a help file?  I know that the people at
John> GNU have a system (texinfo) which relies relies on emacs info
John> mode for the online help.

There is also a system called LaTeXinfo that makes use of the same
mechanism as TeXinfo, but allows the document to be written in LaTeX.
Furthermore, the GNU project has created a info browser tool that runs
under X.

Using info has many advantages, including automagically keeping the
printed and online doc's in sync. That info browsing mode in Emacs is
also very efficient to use.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | Beauty is a French phonetic corruption
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |                   - FZ

basien@pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Tillman Basien) (02/23/91)

davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes:

>Hi,

>   I am writing a plotting package that I want to document.  I am currently
>working on a manual for the program using LaTeX.  However, I would also like
>to have online help.  Has anyone created a tool to use one source to generate
>a (La)TeX file as well as a help file?  I know that the people at GNU have a
>system (texinfo) which relies relies on emacs info mode for the online help.

In my company there is a guy koebler@.PEM-Stuttgart.de, who has some
scripts to generate manual pages out of the C-Source.
--
					             basien@PEM-Stuttgart.de
Dipl.-Ing. Tillmann A. Basien           PEM Programmentwicklungsgesellschaft