[comp.lang.c] Algorithms, libraries, and comp.lang.c

macrakis@gr.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) (02/28/91)

This is a group to discuss the language C.  Appropriate topics would
seem to be:

	the language itself
	  its syntax
	  its semantics
	programming using the language
	  using language constructs intelligently
	  style questions
	tools for the language
	  cross-referencers
	  analyzers
	  compilers

On the other hand, many questions on this newsgroup have to do with
things that have NO direct relationship with the language C, namely:

	Unix libraries
	Unix system calls
	algorithms

Although there is some gray area around libraries, I do not see any
reason that algorithmic questions should be discussed in a C
newsgroup, unless it's some algorithm very closely related to using
special features of C and standard libraries (e.g. setjump hacking or
funny function pointer manipulations) or an algorithm that works on C
program text (e.g. a lexical analyzer).

Could we please keep such queries OUT of this group?

Thanks

	-s

jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) (03/01/91)

In article <MACRAKIS.91Feb28093428@diderot.gr.osf.org> macrakis@gr.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) writes:
>This is a group to discuss the language C.  Appropriate topics would
>seem to be:

[misc. flamage deleted]

>Could we please keep such queries OUT of this group?
>
>Thanks

READ MY POSTING.  I asked where I should post for an algorithm!  I KNOW
that posting to comp.lang.c is not the best, but it IS THE CLOSEST I
CAN FIND AND UNTIL I FIND BETTER WHAT ELSE DO I DO?  I was not asking
for an algorithm, just a query as to where other C programmers on the
net post their general algorithm questions.

Thank you,

Brian

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (03/01/91)

In article <27218@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jdb@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Brian K. W. Hook) writes:
>>Could we please keep such queries OUT of this group?
>
>READ MY POSTING.  I asked where I should post for an algorithm!  I KNOW
>that posting to comp.lang.c is not the best, but it IS THE CLOSEST I
>CAN FIND AND UNTIL I FIND BETTER WHAT ELSE DO I DO?  I was not asking
>for an algorithm, just a query as to where other C programmers on the
>net post their general algorithm questions.

Q: How many comp.lang.c readers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: none - the light bulb doesn't belong here

Sorry folks.  The recurring whining about inappropriate postings inspired
that - but it makes a point.  I've seen people suggest news groups that
DON'T EVEN EXIST.  It's one thing to suggest a newsgroup that is more
likely to be helpful for that type of question.  It's another thing to
say "I don't care where you take it - just get it out of here"

I'm starting to find the don't-post-that-here crap a lot more offensive
than the occasional misdirected post.  Certainly, it takes much longer to
compose a don't-post-here response than it does to hit the 'n' key.  I
hope most of the readers here aren't as penny-wise-but-pound-foolish
in their actual C programming.

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming

garry@ceco.ceco.com (Garry Garrett) (03/02/91)

In article <MACRAKIS.91Feb28093428@diderot.gr.osf.org>, macrakis@gr.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) writes:
> This is a group to discuss the language C.  Appropriate topics would
> seem to be:
> [...]
>
> On the other hand, many questions on this newsgroup have to do with
> things that have NO direct relationship with the language C, namely:
>
> 	Unix libraries
> 	Unix system calls
> 	algorithms
>
> Although there is some gray area around libraries, I do not see any
> reason that algorithmic questions should be discussed in a C
> newsgroup, unless it's some algorithm very closely related to using
> special features of C and standard libraries (e.g. setjump hacking or
> funny function pointer manipulations) or an algorithm that works on C
> program text (e.g. a lexical analyzer).
>
> Could we please keep such queries OUT of this group?
>
> Thanks
>
> 	-s

	And -S said "Let there be light", and there was light.
	And -S said "No, I meant, Bud Light!" and there was much rejoicing.

	(Seemed kind of fitting, now that you have appointed yourself God.
BTW, deities names are always capitalized).

	Most Unix library functions are also availible on other C compilers,
as are most Unix system calls.  It would not be a bad idea for others to
read this info, for if the system call does not exist on there system,
then they could write one.  This is what's called an exchange of ideas.  It
helps to build de-facto standards, which are often better than no standards
at all.  As for algorithms, I don't recall ANY newsgroup that is more appropriate
for C algorithms unless they are VERY machine specific (Like "how do I do
VGA graphics on an IBM PC...").  There is no comp.lang.c.bugs as far as I know.
Where else is a C programmer to turn to for help.  I realize it is no one's
responisbility to help the struggling programmer, but certainly you can be
a bit more compasionate then this non-thinking "Get off MY newsgroup!" sort
of attitude.  If you have no pity for the struggling programmer, the least
that you can do is ignore him/her.
	You must be pretty annal retentive to feel that it is your responsablity
to police this newsgroup.  I get very tired of reading posts that are nothing
but a narrow minded individual trying to tell other people how to do their
job.  Thank God (or should I say thank you) that I don't have to work for
you!  I pitty the people that do.

macrakis@gr.osf.org (Stavros Macrakis) (03/04/91)

I am amazed at the insults resulting from my posting.

Instead of `n'-ing through dozens of irrelevant messages daily (along
with thousands of other readers), I'm giving up.  Goodbye.

	-s

PS And thanks so much for the charming remarks about my tone of voice,
my character, my intelligence, etc.