[comp.lang.c] Author of a C book

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) (03/06/91)

Greetings!

After reading an article entitled "Common C errors" in the Nov. 1990 issue of
UNIX World magazine, I've been trying to find books on C written by the
same author.  The credit at the end states that he is ``a noted author of
numerous popular C books, a frequent lecturer, and also president of
Ecosoft''.

Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by
him in any of our local book stores.  I really liked his presentation style
in the article and am hoping his books follow this trend of explaining C
programming from the view of the compiler.

Many thanks in advance!

	~mitch

   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

	  (cond ((lovep you (quote LISP)) (honk)) (t (return NIL)))
--
  ..mitch

   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

   ``A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.''
		-- Mitch Wright

mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com (Mark Brown) (03/06/91)

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:
|After reading an article entitled "Common C errors" in the Nov. 1990 issue of
|UNIX World magazine, I've been trying to find books on C written by the
|same author.  The credit at the end states that he is ``a noted author of
|numerous popular C books, a frequent lecturer, and also president of
|Ecosoft''.
|
|Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by

Purdum's books [C PROGRAMMING GUIDE, C LIBRARY, and some others] are mostly
to be found under the publisher QUE BOOKS.

Purdum's a good choice for beginners, I especially remember his easy-to-
understand chapter on arrays, pointers, and "char".

--
Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN@AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown@testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown

tll@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tal Lewis Lancaster) (03/07/91)

mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:

>Greetings!

>After reading an article entitled "Common C errors" in the Nov. 1990 issue of
>UNIX World magazine, I've been trying to find books on C written by the
>same author.  The credit at the end states that he is ``a noted author of
>numerous popular C books, a frequent lecturer, and also president of
>Ecosoft''.

>Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by
>him in any of our local book stores.  I really liked his presentation style
>in the article and am hoping his books follow this trend of explaining C
>programming from the view of the compiler.

The books that I have seen by Jack Purdum were published by QUE( Indianapolis).
The last phone number I have on them is 800-428-5331.

The books that I have of his are "C Programming Guide" and "C Programmer's Library".  I highly recommend the first one if you are very new to C and found K&R a bit too overwelming.  Then tackle K&R.  I think the Guide is in its third
edition.

>Many thanks in advance!

>	~mitch

Your welcome.

>   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

>	  (cond ((lovep you (quote LISP)) (honk)) (t (return NIL)))
>--
>  ..mitch

>   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262

>   ``A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.''
>		-- Mitch Wright

Tal Lancaster

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (03/07/91)

In article <MITCH.91Mar5134925@hq.af.mil> mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:

>Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by
>him in any of our local book stores.  I really liked his presentation style
>in the article and am hoping his books follow this trend of explaining C
>programming from the view of the compiler.

Maybe you should move ... :-)  We have "C Programming Guide" which is in its
third edition.  Chapters are Introduction to C; C Data Types; Operators and
Selection Statements; Loops; Function Prototypes; Storage Classes and Scope;
Introduction to Pointers; Using Pointers Effectively; Structures, Unions, and
Other Data Types; Disk File Operations; and the C Preprocessor.  It's published
by Que, lists for $24.95, has an ISBN of 0-88022-356-1 and the copyright date
is 1988.

Another book is "C Programmer's Toolkit" which includes a disk for Turbo C
or Quick C.  Chapters are Screen Functions; String Processing; Input Functions;
Menuing Systems; Searching, Sorting, and Parsing; Time and Dates; Disk and
Directory Control Functions; Working with Numbers; and Odds and Ends.  Also
published by Que, lists for $39.95, its ISBN is 0-88022-457-6 and the copyright
date is 1989.

Since they're published by Que, your local bookseller should be able to obtain
them for you in a reasonable amount of time.  Of course, we wouldn't turn your
business away either ... :-)

--
Public Access UNIX at +1 503 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257
TECHbooks offers many technical books at discounted prices.  E-mail to

smbrush@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov (ANDREW BRUSH) (03/07/91)

In article <MITCH.91Mar5134925@hq.af.mil>, mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes...
>Greetings!
>
>After reading an article entitled "Common C errors" in the Nov. 1990 issue of
>UNIX World magazine, I've been trying to find books on C written by the
>same author.  The credit at the end states that he is ``a noted author of
>numerous popular C books, a frequent lecturer, and also president of
>Ecosoft''.
>
>Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by
>him in any of our local book stores.  I really liked his presentation style
>in the article and am hoping his books follow this trend of explaining C
>programming from the view of the compiler.
>
>Many thanks in advance!

Jack Purdum Wrote "C Programming Guide", Que, 1983.  Also, according
to one instructor I had, he wrote the Eco-C compiler.  BTW, the C
programming Guide was my first C book, and I think it's pretty good.

Andrew S. Brush             | SMBRUSH@EARTH.lerc.nasa.gov
Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

noraa@cbnewsk.att.com (aaron.l.hoffmeyer) (03/08/91)

In article <MITCH.91Mar5134925@hq.af.mil> mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) writes:
>Greetings!
>
>After reading an article entitled "Common C errors" in the Nov. 1990 issue of
>UNIX World magazine, I've been trying to find books on C written by the
>same author.  The credit at the end states that he is ``a noted author of
>numerous popular C books, a frequent lecturer, and also president of
>Ecosoft''.
>
>Anyway, his name is Jack Purdum, and I have yet to find a book written by
>him in any of our local book stores.  I really liked his presentation style
>in the article and am hoping his books follow this trend of explaining C
>programming from the view of the compiler.
>
>Many thanks in advance!
>	  (cond ((lovep you (quote LISP)) (honk)) (t (return NIL)))
>   mitch@hq.af.mil (Mitch Wright) | The Pentagon, 1B1046 | (703) 695-0262
>   ``A system without PERL is like a hockey game without a fight.''
>		-- Mitch Wright

ti C programmer's library
au Purdum, J.J.
pu Indianapolis, Ind., Que Corporation 1984. 366p.
su C language (Computer program language)
au Leslie, T.C.; Stegemoller, A.L.
isbn 0-88022-048-1  lccn 83-62490

ti C programming guide.
au Purdum, J.J.
pu Indianapolis, Ind., Que Corporation 1983. 250p.
su C language (Computer program language)
isbn 0-88022-022-8  lccn 83-42612	  oclc 9425780

ti C self-study guide.
au Purdum, J.J.
pu Indianapolis, Ind., Que Corporation. 1985. 249p.
su C language (Computer program language)
b-no 411153F  isbn 0-88022-149-6   oclc 12790605

ti C programming guide. 2d ed.
au Purdum, Jack	J. (Jack Jay)
pu Indianapolis, Ind. : Que Corporation, 1985. 319p.
su C language (Computer program language)
isbn 0-88022-157-7  lccn 85-60689   oclc 12819701

ti C standard library / Jack Purdum [and] Timothy C. Leslie.
au Purdum, Jack	J., (Jack Jay)
pu Indianapolis, Ind. : Que Corp., c1987. xx, 437 p. ; 24 cm.
no Includes index.
su C language (Computer program language)
au Leslie, Timothy C.
isbn 0-88022-279-4  lccn 86-62528	  oclc 16411542

i C programming guide / Jack Purdum. 3rd ed.
au Purdum, Jack	J., (Jack Jay)
pu Carmel, Ind. : Que Corp., 1988. xviii, 456 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
su C language (Computer	program	language)
isbn 0-88022-356-1 (pbk.)  lccn 88-61496	 oclc 18865012

ti Software development '88 : proceedings of Miller Freeman Publications'
    Software Development '88 Conference	: San Francisco, Calif., February
    17-19, 1988 / sponsored by Computer Language, AI Expert, and UNIX Review.
co Software Development	'88 Conference (1988 : San Francisco, Calif.)
pu San Francisco, CA : Miller Freeman Publications, 1988. 450 p.
re Browse call number: 005.1/S681d2
su Computer software--Development.; Software engineering.; Data	base
    management.; C language (Computer program language); Computer program
    languages.
isbn 0-87930-200-3  lccn 87-63289

ti Software development '89 : proceedings of Miller Freeman Publications'
    Software Development '89 Conference	: Burlingame, Calif., February 14-17,
    1989 / sponsored by Computer Language ... [et al.].
co Software Development	'89 Conference (1989 : Burlingame, Calif.)
pu San Francisco, CA : Miller Freeman Publications, 1989. 1 v.  (loose-leaf)
su Computer software--Development.; Software engineering.; Object-oriented
    programming (Computer science); C language (Computer program
language)
isbn 0-87930-216-X  lccn 89-60296

ti C programmer's toolkit / Jack Purdum.
au Purdum, Jack J., (Jack Jay)
pu Carmel, IN : Que Corp., c1989. xvi, 350 p. : ill. ; 24 cm. +	and 1 computer
    floppy disk (5 1/4 in.) in back pocket.
no System requirements: IBM PC or compatible; C compiler; MS-DOS.  "Covers
    Turbo C & QuickC"--Cover. Includes index.
su C language (Computer program language)
se Programming series
isbn 0-88022-457-6  lccn 89-61069	  oclc 21130331

Aaron L. Hoffmeyer
TR@CBNEA.ATT.COM