[comp.lang.c] Wanted: MS-DOS --> SMTP mail software

witczak@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Witczak Mark D) (03/09/91)

Howdy,

	I'm looking for software (public domain) than will allow people
on a LAN to send mail throught a UNIX fileserver out onto internet.
Sun's Lifeline does this, but it's way too expensive ($200 per
terminal).  Is there anything else that would allow people to do this?

mark witczak

"Home is where you hang your hat."

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (03/13/91)

witczak@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Witczak Mark D) writes:

>Howdy,

>	I'm looking for software (public domain) than will allow people
>on a LAN to send mail throught a UNIX fileserver out onto internet.
>Sun's Lifeline does this, but it's way too expensive ($200 per
>terminal).  Is there anything else that would allow people to do this?

Try Phil Karn's KA9Q software. This will run happily on top of Novell etc.
and gives you SMTP facilities, IP routing, an implementation of FTPD, etc.
Written mostly in C it is available in source or binary form, and it does
work (I hope it does - I'm using it here).

Mark Bramwell's View mailer software is a usefull addition if you are running
Novell. Again FOC, but written in Pascal, it gives a good mail front end/
distribution mechanism.

comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc normally has some reference to KA9Q if you want
to read before you try it.

>"Home is where you hang your hat."

"No, that's a hatstand" (Twoflower c/o Terry Pratchett's Diskworld Series)

I don't have the addresses for the above software to hand at the moment. If
you want to try KA9Q/View, mail me or post and I'll dig the stuff out and
post back.

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (03/13/91)

For those interested in KA9Q or View, the authors and addresses are as below
(or at least this is where the authors say they are):

KA9Q

Phil Karn (karn@thumper.bellcore.com)

Code in /pub/ka9q/nos on thumper.bellcore.com

View Mailer/Postman

Mark Bramwell (mark@hamster.business.uwo.ca)

Code in /hamster/view on hamster.business.uwo.com

Phil requests that non-educational institutions request permission before
using the code, which is understandable given the ammount of work involved
in this product.

Martin