[comp.lang.c] Turbo C BGI driver for VGA in 256 colours?

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (03/11/91)

First, my apologies for posting a strictly compiler-dependant question to
various general groups.  I didn't want to wait for `comp.lang.turboc' :-)

Has anyone out there heard of (or better still, got) a Borland BGI driver
for a VGA card in 320 * 200 * 256 colour mode?  If so, could you mail me
a copy?  I am using Turbo C 2.0, which only supports various 16 colour
modes on VGA, and must have 256 colours.  If I can't do it with BGI, I
will have to change to Microsoft, which _does_ do mode 13, but doesn't
have the fancy text support (which I need).

I would also like to know whether there are any fonts other than the
standard `simplex' and `sans_serif' available.  The `gothic' is totally
useless, but I would like to lay my hands on an italic font for BGI.
Does anyone know how to create BGI fonts, so that I can roll my own?

For answers to any of these, many thanks.

	paul

 ---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---=---
Paul Nash				   Free Range Computer Systems cc
paul@frcs.UUCP				      ...!uunet!m2xenix!frcs!paul

mcastle@mcs213e.cs.umr.edu (Mike Castle {Nexus}) (03/13/91)

BGIDRIV.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> Borland BGI Toolkit driver/docs (UPDATE)
BGIFONT.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> BGI Font Editor, develop your own fonts
BGIFONTS.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> Set of BGI fonts, full IBM character set
BGIHERC.ARC  PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> Hercules Monochrome and Incolor BGI driver
BGVGA256.ARC PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> BGI driver for VGA 320x200 256 color mode
ET3BGI.ZIP   PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> BGI driver for Tseng ET3000 SVGA cards
SVGABG15.ZIP PD1:<MSDOS.BORLAND> Multi-mode SuperVGA BGI driver

These are all available at:
New Mexico:  simtel20.army.mil (26.2.0.74) in the directory listed above
                                           (PDx:<MSDOS.xxxxx> )
Missouri:    wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.135.4) in mirrors/msdos/xxxxx
Australia:   sol.deakin.oz.au (128.184.1.1) in pub/PC/simtel-20/xxxxx

There are several mail servers that will process the ftp commands for those who
have access to e-mail, but not FTP.  Addresses are:

In North America (Simtel20 access only):

          LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU   North Dakota State University.
          LISTSERV@VM.ECS.RPI.EDU  Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    GET PDGET HELP PCSERV-L

Also (any ftp site):
          BITFTP@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU

   In the body of the mail have the command:
   HELP

Trickle servers (Simtel20 access only):
In Denmark:     TRICKLE@DKTC11
In Turkey:      TRICKLE@TREARN
In Italy:       TRICKLE@IMIPOLI
In Belgium:     TRICKLE@BANUFS11
In Austria:     TRICKLE@AWIWUW11
In Germany:     TRICKLE@DTUZDV1
In Spain:       TRICKLE@EB0UB011
In Israel:      TRICKLE@TAUNIVM
In Netherlands: TRICKLE@HEARN
France:         TRICKLE@FRMOP11
Germany:        TRICKLE@DB0FUB11
Chile:          TRICKLE@USACHVM1
Not sure:       TRICKLE@DS0RUS1I

(note:  these are EARN/BITNET style addresses.  Internet users should
        use BITNET domain addresses such as TRICKLE@TREAN.BITNET)

    In the body of the mail have the command:
    /HELP

If anyone knows of any other mirrored archives of Simtel20, please let me
know and I'll add them to this generic response.

Thanks.
--
Mike Castle (Nexus) S087891@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (preferred)       | XEDIT: Emacs
                mcastle@mcs213k.cs.umr.edu (unix mail-YEACH!)| on a REAL

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (03/13/91)

In article <415@frcs.UUCP>, paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

%% Has anyone out there heard of (or better still, got) a Borland BGI driver
%% for a VGA card in 320 * 200 * 256 colour mode?  If so, could you mail me
%% a copy?  I am using Turbo C 2.0, which only supports various 16 colour
%% modes on VGA, and must have 256 colours.  If I can't do it with BGI, I
%% will have to change to Microsoft, which _does_ do mode 13, but doesn't
%% have the fancy text support (which I need).

Look into the <MSDOS.BORLAND> directory on Simtel20 or into
/mirrors/msdos/borland on wuarchive.wustl.edu. There are two
interesting files: bgvga256.arc and svgabg17.zip.
Ah, you are on a UUCP site...

%% I would also like to know whether there are any fonts other than the
%% standard `simplex' and `sans_serif' available.  The `gothic' is totally
%% useless, but I would like to lay my hands on an italic font for BGI.
%% Does anyone know how to create BGI fonts, so that I can roll my own?

You can use fonts from Borland Quattro and maybe also Borland Paradox.
It has been some time since I experimented with that, but I think you
only need to put them together with the other and select another font
number...

For a font editor, look at bgifont.zip and bgifonts.arc in the
previously cited directories.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (03/14/91)

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

>Has anyone out there heard of (or better still, got) a Borland BGI driver
>for a VGA card in 320 * 200 * 256 colour mode?  If so, could you mail me
>a copy?  I am using Turbo C 2.0, which only supports various 16 colour
>modes on VGA, and must have 256 colours.  If I can't do it with BGI, I
>will have to change to Microsoft, which _does_ do mode 13, but doesn't
>have the fancy text support (which I need).

You don't HAVE to change to Microsoft-- The Zortech C/C++ graphics library
(Flash Graphics) also supports mode 13.

User defined fonts are also supported.  Another nice feature is that the
graphics library exists for multiple platforms -- including: MSDOS, OS/2,
SCO UNIX, Rational System's 286 DOS extender, and PharLap's 386 DOS extender.

Source code is available (~$200.00) and email support is available
(fg@proto.com).

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@uunet.uu.net' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Send Zortech bug reports to 'zortech-bugs@zortech.com'
Send requests for educational discounts to 'zortech-ed@zortech.com'
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.

--
joe@proto.com

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (03/19/91)

Thus spake joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman):

> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

> > [ ... ]  If I can't do it with BGI, I
> >will have to change to Microsoft

> You don't HAVE to change to Microsoft-- The Zortech C/C++ graphics library
> (Flash Graphics) also supports mode 13.

I already have three versions of Zortech (1.0, 1.5 and 2.0 Developers)
and am very impressed with it.  However, in this case I am using CTASK
to multi-task under DOS, and while I think that Walter Bright's approach
to interrupts is cleaner than the ``interrupt'' keyword, I have not
got around to getting CTASK to work with Zortech.  It does work with
both Turbo and MS right out of the box, so I am sticking with them for
now.