[comp.lang.c] Exit code 252

suthan@cs.hw.ac.uk (Manickam Umasuthan) (03/16/91)

Could someone explain to me what it means if a programs exits with
exit code 252 ?

thanks
Umasuthan

-------
   M.Umasuthan                      (Janet): suthan@uk.ac.hw.cs
   Dept. of Comp. Sci.,             ( UUCP): <EUROPE>!ukc!hwcs!suthan
   Heriot-Watt University,             or  : suthan@hwcs.uucp

In article <2538@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, suthan@cs.hw.ac.uk (Manickam Umasuthan) writes:
> Could someone explain to me what it means if a programs exits with
> exit code 252 ?

It means whatever the author of the program wanted it to mean.
If it's a UNIX or MS-DOS program, the program probably did exit(-4),
so check the program documentation for -4 as well as 252.

--
Seen from an MVS perspective, UNIX and MS-DOS are hard to tell apart.

In article <4987@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au> ok@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
> In article <2538@odin.cs.hw.ac.uk>, suthan@cs.hw.ac.uk (Manickam Umasuthan) writes:
> > Could someone explain to me what it means if a programs exits with
> > exit code 252 ?
> It means whatever the author of the program wanted it to mean.
> If it's a UNIX or MS-DOS program, the program probably did exit(-4),
> so check the program documentation for -4 as well as 252.

On many UNIX boxes a main() that falls through the end will return a
garbage exit code. In systems shipped by careless vendors many programs
act this way. New users seem to notice this most often in Makefiles and
when a job exits in the background under csh; otherwise the exit code of
such programs generally isn't used.

---Dan

In article <527@bria> uunet!bria!mike writes:
> In an article, kramden.acf.nyu.edu!brnstnd (Dan Bernstein) writes:
> >[...] New users seem to notice this most often in Makefiles and
> >when a job exits in the background under csh; otherwise the exit code of
> >such programs generally isn't used.
> Ahem -- I beg your pardon.  The exit code of a *majority* of the programs
> on UNIX *are* used.  Otherwise ``||'', ``&&'', ``$?'' and ``if'' would be
> somewhat worthless, now wouldn't they? :-)

I said ``such programs,'' those being the programs that don't return a
meaningful exit code. Example: echo. Sure, echo is useful in Makefiles,
and you might occasionally run it in the background in csh; but I've
never seen anyone test its exit code in scripts. If it didn't exit(0),
new users would notice that fact in Makefiles or when a job exits in the
background, as I said.

---Dan