[comp.lang.c] Advice about best MS-DOS C Compiler.

rns@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Noel STURROCK) (03/20/91)

Can anyone give me some advice about what the best C compiler is which runs
under MSDOS?

Having only ever used UNIX C compilers in the past, I am unsure as to which
would be the best one, but the only constraints would be:

   must be an ANSI C compiler.
   should support some sort of windowing (curses etc.) - or other
      features which facilitate creating a decent user interface
      for computer il-literate users.

Suggestions/Comments are appreciated.

Robert Sturrock
rns@mullauna.cs.mu.oz.au.

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (03/21/91)

rns@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Robert Noel STURROCK) writes:

>Can anyone give me some advice about what the best C compiler is which runs
>under MSDOS?

>Having only ever used UNIX C compilers in the past, I am unsure as to which
>would be the best one, but the only constraints would be:

>   must be an ANSI C compiler.
>   should support some sort of windowing (curses etc.) - or other
>      features which facilitate creating a decent user interface
>      for computer il-literate users.

	I would heartily recommend Turbo C++ Professional.  It has many
advantages:

	o  Two compilers in one, both an ANSI-compliant C compiler and
           an AT&T C++ ver 2.0 compiler.

	o  Many extensions to ANSI C, including many screen-handling
           curses-type functions, graphics stuff, and PC system
           interfacing calls.

	o  Fairly cheap, $150-$180 mail-order.

	o  The Professional version comes with a Profiler, Assembler and
           a VERY good Debugger.

	o  And many others....