[comp.lang.c] Uses for process.h on IBMs under DOS?

consp06@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) (03/19/91)

This question sounds rather silly.

I know that DOS is not really a multiprocessing machine, so with that in
mind, what uses could I have for process.h, and associated stuff?

		-Rob Konigsberg

wirzenius@cc.helsinki.fi (Lars Wirzenius) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.181605.14265@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp06@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:
> I know that DOS is not really a multiprocessing machine, so with that in
> mind, what uses could I have for process.h, and associated stuff?

It depends on the compiler, I think.  Turbo C has prototypes for abort
and system (which can be found elsewhere too), exec...  (replace current
program with another), and spawn... (start a subprocess, but stop parent).

--
Lars Wirzenius wirzenius@cc.helsinki.fi

Andreas.Kaiser@p0.f7014.n244.z2.Fidonet.stgt.sub.org (Andreas Kaiser) (03/20/91)

    Hello Robert!

 RK> I know that DOS is not really a multiprocessing machine, so with that
 RK> in mind, what uses could I have for process.h, and associated
stuff?

Have you ever looked into such a file? There IS some process related stuff even in MSDOS. It's not parallel processing, but a program can CALL another program via spawn(..) or be (almost) replaced via exec(...).

      Andreas

 * Origin: kaiser@ananke.stgt.sub.org - Stuttgart, FRG (2:244/7014.0)

markh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mark William Hopkins) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar18.181605.14265@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp06@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Robert Konigsberg) writes:
>I know that DOS is not really a multiprocessing machine, so with that in
>mind, what uses could I have for process.h, and associated stuff?

Future compatibility with the envisioned multiprocessing 386/486-based
operating systems sounds like the most likely reason.

There are multiprocessing DOS's out there too, like Double DOS...