[comp.lang.c] Hash table problem

zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch ( ass bei richter) (03/07/91)

I got a 'run out of hash table' error whenever I compile a C program which has
more than 10,000 of individually defined (float, int)varibles. I have studied
some compiler books but with no solution. I'd like to know from you warm-hearted
souls any comments.

Thanks a lot in advance!

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (03/08/91)

In article <1991Mar7.151801.4702@ifi.unizh.ch> zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>I got a 'run out of hash table' error whenever I compile a C program which has
>more than 10,000 of individually defined (float, int)varibles.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your problem but I am curious about an
application that requires more than 10,000 distinct variables.  What does
this program do?  Was it written by a human or a code generator?

--
Scott Amspoker                       | Touch the peripheral convex of every
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM | kind, then various kinds of blaming

larry@st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar7.151801.4702@ifi.unizh.ch> zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>I got a 'run out of hash table' error whenever I compile a C program which has
>more than 10,000 of individually defined (float, int)varibles. I have studied
>some compiler books but with no solution. I'd like to know from you warm-hearted
>souls any comments.
>
>Thanks a lot in advance!

How about breaking the program into separately compiled modules. How can you
deal with a single module with > 10,000 variables? Obviously it's not a
very modular program. There's nothing wrong with you compiler, only with
your methods of programming.
--
Larry Martell
uunet!st-andy!larry

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar22.173612.5080@st-andy.uucp>, larry@st-andy.uucp (Larry Martell) writes:
> In article <1991Mar7.151801.4702@ifi.unizh.ch> zhou@unizh.ifi.unizh.ch writes:
>> I got a 'run out of hash table' error whenever I compile a C program
>> which has more than 10,000 of individually defined (float,
>> int)varibles.
> How about breaking the program into separately compiled modules.  How
> can you deal with a single module with > 10,000 variables?

It's not necessarily human-written.  In fact, I rather suspect it isn't.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu