[comp.lang.c] A question on variable arguments and function calls

eckstein@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Craig Eckstein) (03/22/91)

One part of the system I am currently writing is a "generalized call function."
It will be passed the function to be called and a variable list of arguments,
as well as other parameters.

Has anyone written any similar systems? or have any tips on the best way to
approach this?  A particular concern of mine is how to read the arguments.
The conventional manner using <stdarg.h> appears to need to know the types
of possible arguments at compile time, which is not feasible in my case.  Is
there a way to read in the arguments with the argument type stored in some
data structure?

--Craig

*                                                                             *
*   All statements are the sole opinion of eckstein@grad1.cis.upenn.edu       *
*                                                                             *
--Craig

*                                                                             *

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/26/91)

In article <39603@netnews.upenn.edu>, eckstein@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Craig Eckstein) writes:
> One part of the system I am currently writing is a "generalized call
> function."  It will be passed the function to be called and a
> variable list of arguments, as well as other parameters.

There is no portable way to write such a thing in C.  You will have to
do something machine-dependent.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu