[comp.lang.c] VGA palette

dave@tygra.UUCP (David Conrad) (03/27/91)

In a recent article Andy Brewster (a_brewster@mdtv.UUCP) writes:

>I downloaded from Borland's BB the 256 color VGA graphics driver, VGA256.BGI.
>While I can it to come up, and it does seem to have 256 colors, I can't change
>the default palette.  I'm assuming that I want to use setrgbpalette, but the
>structure it references seems to only recognize 16 colors.  The function
>getmaxcolor (I think, the manual is at home...) says 256 colors are available,
>and looping through 256 colors with setcolor seems to work.  But the function
>to return the size of the palette says it only contains 16 colors.  Hmm...

The getpalette() function is designed to work only with EGA.  To get/set the
VGA palette it is necessary to call the VGA bios.  I'll post routines to do
just that in comp.os.msdos.programmer.

>Has anyone played with any of this stuff?  Also, can anyone point me to a 640
>by 480 by 256 .BGI?  I don't currently have access to anonymous ftp.  There
>appeared to be one on SIMTEL, but I got a message back saying the file doesn't
>exist.

pd:<msdos.borland>svgabg17.zip at SIMTEL20 should do the trick.  It was up-
graded recently from 1.5, you probably requested the earlier version which
is no longer there.  Update your index!

>+------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Andy Brewster         | Voice: (508) 640 0940    Fax: (508) 640 0836         |
>| Matra Datavision, Inc.| Internet:  a_brewster@mdtv.UUCP                      |
>| 2 Highwood Drive      | UUCP:{decwrl!decvax,uunet!samsung}!mdtv!a_brewster   |
>| Tewksbury, MA. 01876  | Easynet: decwrl::"decvax!mdtv!a_brewster"            |

Apologies to those not interested in MS-DOS, VGA, and Turbo C(++), which are
all probably registered trademarks of somebody or other.  Followups redirected
to comp.os.msdos.programmer.

David R. Conrad
sharkey!tygra!dave
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Computer Conferencing and File Archive  =
-  1-313-343-0800, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -