[comp.lang.c] Posting C++ sources

randall@Virginia.EDU (Ran Atkinson) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.171030.7130@athena.mit.edu> bjaspan@athena.mit.edu (Barr3y Jaspan) writes:
>Since I posted my Matrix class here a few weeks ago, I have been receiving a
>steady stream of requests for it.  Several people have asked me to post it
>here regularly so they can get any extensions/improvements I've made, and my
>response has been "no, comp.lang.c++ is not a sources group."

You are right that no sources should be posted anywhere but alt.sources or
a comp.sources.* group.

>Is there such a group?  Is comp.lang.c appropriate?  Where does everyone else
>post their public-domain classes, etc.?  Note that I am not offering to
>moderate such a group, go about getting it created, and so on.

alt.sources is unmoderated, but unarchived and is often used for early
	releases of sources.

comp.sources.unix is moderated and tests its sources before posting and
	is archived widely across the net.  Despite its name, sources
	need only be usable on UNIX not UNIX-only source.

comp.sources.misc is moderated but has fast turnaround because it doesn't
	have heavy testing.  It is widely archived across the net.
	Any sources may be submitted here.

comp.sources.x is moderated and only for X11 related sources and archived
	across the net.

A matrix class might be best in comp.sources.misc, but could go elsewhere...

A windowing class for X11 probably belongs in comp.sources.x, and
an OS class for UNIX or POSIX probably belongs in comp.sources.unix

These aren't hard and fast rules, but just top-of-the-head sorting
by newsgroup.  I've posted because this is a frequently asked question
and I hope to forestall other postings...

Ran
randall@Virginia.EDU