[comp.lang.c] GNU C Compiler

elh@vu-vlsi.UUCP (02/20/87)

In article <2806@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU>, phr@mit-hermes.AI.MIT.EDU (Paul Rubin) writes:
> I just ran the notorious Dhrystone benchmark through the GNU C
> compiler and compared the results with the Unix compiler.  They
> generally favor GCC.

How/where can I get information about the GNU C compiler?  Is it a re-targetable
compiler (like pcc)?

I would like to create a C compiler for a RISC architecture which I have
been looking at and currently only have pcc available to me... Would the GNU
C compiler be easier, etc. to use? How does one specify the target machine?

Also, does anyone know of a public domain event driven behavioral simulator
which may be available...We currently have ISPS and Slang, but would like
something like Verilog or equivalent.  Unfortunately we don't have the
$$ for a good commercial grade mixed-mode simulator..... I have been
working on upgrading my PhD thesis (a behavioral simulator from a number
of years back...) but would rather spend my time on the architecture, not
the tools needed to explore it...

Thanks,

Ed Hepler   Adjunct Prof.  Villanova University, Villanova, Pa.
            {cbmvax,bpa}!vu-vlsi!elh

wmark@mas.UUCP (mark winsor) (07/30/90)

Has anyone successfully ported the gnu C & C++ compilers to an AT&T 3b2?
I got it to compile cleanly, but it causes assembly errors when compiling.
Any hints?

Thanks,

Mark S. Winsor
ProVAR, Inc.

rjg2@ukc.ac.uk (R.J.Gibson) (04/18/91)

   I am posting this here with the hope that you might be able to
help.  Does anyone know if it is possible to install the GNU compiler
on a IBM PC running MS-DOS 4.01.  The machine is a 80286 processor.
I have followed the instructions supplied with the compiler for
setting up on PCs but they only tell you about the 80386.  The
compiler tries to work but hangs the machine.  When I got it to
display what it was doing, it was looking down paths that did not
exist. I have set the paths in the autoexec.bat as instructed. I know
the source code I was compiling was ok as I compiled it on another
machine at work using another compiler.

  Any info would be of great help, particularly email as I don't often
read this group.

Thanks in advance

R.Gibson

rjg2@ukc.ac.uk