From: "O.W.CARROLL" <C_S244010203@STAT.APPSTATE.EDU>
Subject: hashing problem
Assignment to find an Algorithm for the avoidance of
collisions.
 Algorithms and Programming
  Here is a problem being worked on in C! can you Computer
Science majors help me find the shortest runn time and
least storage.
  The program will take in a series of lines from a data
file, storing their information in appropriate structs
linked together as nodes.
Each line contains :
        the name of a person (18 spaces allotted)
        the age of that person
        a process code: U means replace the previous age;
D is delete the person; A is add the person to the pool.
  Use an array and hashing techniques to conduct a search
for the location of each person.  Store the people to be
added, delete those to be deleted, and update the age of
those with a U process code.
  You have a choice of either a linked list or probing to
resolve conflicts causedby the your hash function.
  If you probe, you must output a probe count at the end
of the run.  If you use a linked list, you must give a
count of each linked list in the array at the end of the
run.
  In any case, you must output the final pool of
individuals at the end of the run.
  Improvements are welcome.
  Turn in hardcopy of the program, the final list of
people and the necessary counts.
  O.W. Carroll A.S.U Boone N.C.
$

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.195513.754@stat.appstate.edu> lib525010101@stat.appstate.edu writes:
>  One of my friends in another class has an interesting
>assignment that he has been requesting help with.  I am
>including it below in case some of the readers of this
>board would like to help him.

Did it ever occur to you that the point of class assignments
is to have the student think for himself?