[comp.lang.c] Borland C++

cla@isis.cs.du.edu (Chuck Anderson) (03/01/91)

I bought Turbo C++ Pro last summer. Then, about 4 weeks ago I ordered the
maintenance upgrade (1.01) for $15.00

When I got my Borland C++ offer I called Borland and asked them what they
could do for me. The operator (?) reminded me of Borland's 60 day return
policy. So I can at least gt my $15.00 back.

If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

---

It sounds like Borland C++ is worth buying. My problem with the
upgrade offer is that it has a time limit on it (4/12/91). This
almost "forces" me to take the upgrade offer since I'm saving SO
MUCH money. But, I'm just not quite ready for it yet.

I thought someone said that Borland C++ requires 2Meg. ? ?
(I only have 1Meg. :-()

The System Requirements specified with the upgrade offer include the phrase...
"Hard Disk requires 1MB of extended memory."

What do it mean?

     Chuck Anderson                uucp    :         uunet!isis!cla
     Boulder, Co. (303) 494-6278   internet:         cla@isis.cs.du.edu

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1991 18:21:05 GMT

In article <1991Mar1.015229.21616@isis.cs.du.edu> cla@isis.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes:
>If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

Let me get this straight - you're saying it's better to return the product
and buy a new one for $200 more than spend $99 on an upgrade? AND keep the
old one?
Hm. Let me pull out my calculator...

Tony

dhosek@euler.claremont.edu (Don Hosek) (03/10/91)

> In article <1991Mar1.015229.21616@isis.cs.du.edu> cla@isis.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes:
>>If you've bought Turbo C++ in the last 60 days, just return it.

Those of us whose copies of TC++ Professional which are new
enough to not have gathered dust will be pleased to hear that
BC++ can be had for a nominal fee (under $50 including all
bonus charges). I called up Borland Friday and was told that the
package would have to have been purchased after some date in
December (didn't pay too much attention to that since my copy is
post January) and one needs to send in a copy of the sales
receipt to get the cheap purchase price.

Hmm, will they be disturbed by the fact that I paid $150 for my
TC++ Pro? ;-)

-dh

jodsmith@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (John Doug Smith) (04/29/91)

	I hope this is the right place to post this.  Has anyone else out
in the net world had problems with the new Borland C++. I have recieved 2
complete sets of disks that both have errors on them.  The first set
disk #9 was totally disrupted (no FAT table, bad sectors every where).
The second set, when I tried to 'copy *.*' or 'diskcopy' the computer
bombed out with either bad FAT table or bad sectors.  Although I can pull a
directory up on all the disks in the second set I can not get the first disk
to copy.  I  am getting very frustrated, has anyone else had this problem.
So far Borland has been very cooperative about fixing the problem they
mailed me the second set free although I still can't install it.  I wonder
what they will say when I call them back??

			Very Frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!

			Douglas
"This?!?  This is yet another in a long series of diversions to avoid
responsibility."      --Kris Knight--
jodsmith@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

jodsmith@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (John Doug Smith) (04/30/91)

	I would like to thank all the people who responded to the first post.
I have since tried to  copy the disks from the second set to make backups and
install on my machine.  First my machine:
		IBM (yea thats right an IBM!!)
		PS/2 model 30 (8086 CPU) at 8 Mhz.
		8087 math co-processor
		640K RAM
		Paradise Professional VGA card
		IBM 8513 color monitor
		20 meg. HD
		1 720K 3.5 inch floppy drive
		external Hayes V series smartmodem 9600
		IBM proprinter XL
		Microsoft mouse

	The machine is my mothers but I am a student so, Hey I'm on a
budget.  I have been using Borland C and Pascal for a long time, and quite
happy with all of them.  This is the first time I have had any trouble with
any of the products.

	I find it hard to beleive that they have sent out 2 bad sets of disks
especially to the same person.  I have run other test on my machine and they
all worked fine.  I can even copy the other disks in the set but not the
first one.  I thought about crossing the 2 sets, using the first disk from the
second set and the 9th disk from the second set.  but the Borland rep said
not to do that.
	Tell me if I am doing this right:
			c:> diskcopy a: b:
			this should copy  disk 1 (drive a:) to disk 2 (drive a:)

	Also How much total disk space on the hard drive does it take up
fully installed.

P.S.  I also tried 'copy a:*.* b:*.*' it also did not work.

tmurphy%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Thomas Murphy) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May6.014202.18932@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> jodsmith@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (John Doug Smith) writes:

>	HELP!
>
>	Well for those of you who have been keeping up with the Borland C++
>problem I have been having with the distribution disks, I just got the 3rd
>set.

I would go ahead and try to make a working set myself....have them
send you a new set but quit waiting and try and start programing.  It
can't hurt and it is silly to waste time if you could be programming.

murph

      Murph                     "Government that governs the least

jodsmith@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (John Doug Smith) (05/06/91)

	HELP!

	Well for those of you who have been keeping up with the Borland C++
problem I have been having with the distribution disks, I just got the 3rd
set.  Yes thats right the 3rd set, and they were great until the 8th disk.
The 8th disk has at least 3 "unrecoverable read errors" in at least 3
seperate locations. So yes, I will be calling Borland again Monday mornning
to see about ordering new disks.  I asked Borland about combining both sets of
disks, in hopes of making 1 good set, they told me not to do that, they said
they will mail me new disks.  This is getting old.  What follows is a breif
summary of what problems have been:

	1st set of disks	disk #9		"data error reading drive a:"
		this happened when I tried to look at the directory.
		it turns out the whol disk has bad sectors all over.

	2nd set of disks	disk #1		"unrecoverable read error on
						 drive a: "
		this happened at side 0 track 0 and side 0 track 1.

	3rd set of disks	disk #8		"unrecoverable read error on
						 drive a:"
		this happened at side 1 tracks 75,78,79.

	The dirve (an IBM 720K 3.5") has been test and cleaned it seems to
work fine with every thing else. Even some of my more disk intensive programs.
I have followed the installation process to the 'letter' according to the
instructions on page 11 of the "Getting Started" booklet, "For example,
you'll need the DISKCOPY command to make backup copies of your distribution
disks.  Make a complete working copy of your distribution disks when you
reveive them, ...".  I have also tried to copy them several other ways and
have came up with the same results.  All the errors shown above are
reproducable and the procedures have been tried on different machines with the
same results.  When I call monday morning I will ordering a forth set of disks
this is getting out of hand.  As I stated before this would have been quite
bad if I were using this for a semester project.  I must say though Borland
has been more than cooperative in replacement of disks.

	I am searching for possible reasons for all these problems.  I would
appreciate any comments or ideas.  Please E-mail.  I hear that the Borland C++
has been a very good product since its release, and I am very
anxious to get working with it.