[comp.lang.c] Doubly Linked Lists

robert@anagld.UUCP (Robert Gottlieb) (06/08/90)

Hi all,

	I'm a fairly novice C programmer and I'm looking for a fairly
simple book that can help me with explaining Doubly Linked Lists in
C.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone would have.
Thanks in advance.

/No fancy sig as of yet | Robert Gottlieb aka robert@analytics.com	/
/But look in this space | #include <stdisclaimer>			/
/For future fancy sig   | "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me.. "	/

narayan@cs.iastate.edu (Pankaj Narayan) (06/09/90)

robert@anagld.UUCP (Robert Gottlieb) writes:

>Hi all,

>	I'm a fairly novice C programmer and I'm looking for a fairly
>simple book that can help me with explaining Doubly Linked Lists in
>C.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone would have.
>Thanks in advance.

	Look up Horowits & Sahni's book on Data Structures in Pascal.
	It will give the stuff in Pascal, and then that's easily convertible
	to C after a shot at K&R. Besides, you will learn more of C by
	writing it from the Pascal rather than directly taking it
	from a book that explains data structures in C.

--
Pankaj Narayan                           narayan@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu
246 North Hyland Ave, Apt. 306 ,Ames, IA 50010  Ph: (515) 292-5535

RCAPENER@cc.utah.edu (06/09/90)

In article <1031@anagld.UUCP>, robert@anagld.UUCP (Robert Gottlieb) writes:
> Hi all,
>
> 	I'm a fairly novice C programmer and I'm looking for a fairly
> simple book that can help me with explaining Doubly Linked Lists in
> C.  I would greatly appreciate any suggestions anyone would have.
> Thanks in advance.

A very good book for you would be:

	Introduction to
	Data Structures
	Using C
	by: Singh & Naps

Someone else posted a book that was in Pascal, but I advise against
this.  Formal learning studies of Natural (English, Francais, et al)
language learning have pointed out the best way to learn is to
immerse yourself in the language you are studying and not translate
to your native tongue (Pascal for some out there).  The above authors
originally wrote the above book in kind of a generic Pascalish pseudo
code (ISBN 0-314-85299-9), then split it into two books, one using
C, and the other using Pascal.  I would like to give the ISBN for the
book, but unfortunately, I only have the older generic version in
my posession.

Usually (but not always), double linked lists have storage malloc'ed
(or alloc'ed or calloc'ed) from the heap to store them in.  When
finished with certain portions you free them from the list.  If you
need any more help, fire off a line to me and I will see what I can
do.

sig???
ON VMS???????
NAH!!!!!!!

R.Smithers@ee.surrey.ac.uk (Russell Smithers) (05/03/91)

	Hi every one, I thought that I would tap into all this knowladge. My questions is this.

	Q. I have been programing in C for about a year in my own spare time without any one saying to me learn c or any one helping me that much, but I realy like the language I have bought some books on the subject "Data Structures Using C" being one of them and I know that the book just mentioned contains enough for me to learn doubly linked lists I also know that if I had the time to sit down and spend some proper time doing it that id be able to do it my self(ive tried this though, but I dont have enough tim

e), so my question(finaly) is this could some kind soul mail me and help me out it wont take me long just about three e-mails if that.

	Thanks any one!

P.S. I realy need and would appreciate this as im working on a program and doubly linked lists are its heart!

Russell Smithers,

Computing Assistant, Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
          University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey GU2 5XH, England
R.Smithers@cs.surrey.ac.uk                                 +483 571281 x2659

lwb@pensoft.uucp (Lance Bledsoe) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.163110.3099@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> R.Smithers@ee.surrey.ac.uk (Russell Smithers) writes:

>	Hi every one, I thought that I would tap into all this knowladge. My questions is this.

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650

lwb@pensoft.uucp (Lance Bledsoe) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.163110.3099@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> R.Smithers@ee.surrey.ac.uk (Russell Smithers) writes:

>	Q. I have been programing in C for about a year in my own spare
> time without any one saying to me learn c or any one helping me that
> much, but I realy like the language I have bought some books on the
> subject "Data Structures Using C" being one of them and I know that
> the book just mentioned contains enough for me to learn doubly linked
> lists I also know that if I had the time to sit down and spend some
> proper time doing it that id be able to do it my self(ive tried this
> though, but I dont have enough time), so my question(finaly) is this
> could some kind soul mail me and help me out it wont take me long just
> about three e-mails if that.

Please consult with your university's English Dept. before continuing
you project.

P.S. Most paragraphs of this length usually contain more than one sentence.

--

al@unhd.unh.edu (Anthony Lapadula) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.203558.10820@pensoft.uucp> you write:
>In article <1991May3.163110.3099@EE.Surrey.Ac.UK> R.Smithers@ee.surrey.ac.uk (Russell Smithers) writes:
>>
>>      [....]
>
>Please consult with your university's English Dept. before continuing
>you project.
>
>P.S. Most paragraphs of this length usually contain more than one sentence.

Yeah, and most people don't post empty articles to USENET like you did.

I consider it to be in *very* bad taste to criticize language skills.
If you must do it, though, at least don't make stupid mistakes like
"you[r] project."

Sorry to clutter the net up with garbage like this.

-- Anthony (uunet!unhd!al, al@cs.unh.edu) Lapadula