[comp.lang.c] debugging run-time Unix C programs

Erich_S_Proudfit@cup.portal.com (05/09/91)

I would like some help debugging a 'C' program on a Unix system.  What are the
names of the debuggers on Unix that will help me debug a program in run-time?

Erich
Sticks@cup.portal.com (Erich S Proudfit)

Thanks in advance.

mike@bria.UUCP (mike.stefanik) (05/10/91)

In an article, Erich_S_Proudfit@cup.portal.com writes:

>I would like some help debugging a 'C' program on a Unix system.  What are the
>names of the debuggers on Unix that will help me debug a program in run-time?

Well, since all UNIX systems were not created equal, you may or may not have
access to the three standard ones.  There is adb, which is rather bare-bones
and cryptic; there is sdb which is bare-bones, cryptic, but provides source
references; and there is dbx which is a bit nicer (IMHO) than the other two.

Of course, you may have third party debuggers as well as vendor added
goodies, but these are three that I'm familiar with.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike

huang@husc10.harvard.edu (Howard Huang) (05/13/91)

   Of course, you may have third party debuggers as well as vendor added
   goodies, but these are three that I'm familiar with.

Your site might have SaberC, which comes in ASCII (saber), X-Windows
(xsaber), and Sun (sabertool) versions.

Howard C. Huang                        Internet:  huang@husc9.harvard.edu
Junior Computer Science Major          Bitnet:    huang@husc9.BITNET
Mather House 030, Harvard College      UUCP:      ...!harvard!husc9!huang
Cambridge, MA 02138

wollman@emily.uvm.edu (Garrett Wollman) (05/17/91)

In article <262@bria.UUCP> uunet!bria!mike writes:
>Well, since all UNIX systems were not created equal, you may or may not have
>access to the three standard ones.  There is adb, which is rather bare-bones
>and cryptic; there is sdb which is bare-bones, cryptic, but provides source
>references; and there is dbx which is a bit nicer (IMHO) than the other two.
>
>Of course, you may have third party debuggers as well as vendor added
>goodies, but these are three that I'm familiar with.

[Not really C-related]

Around here, most people use gdb (the GNU DeBugger), either under
Emacs gdb-mode, or under one of the X-based interfaces; except on
Silcon Graphics boxen, which gdb doesn't support (MIPS processor and
COFF) yet, where everybody uses dbx, and possibly edge, an SGI
front-end for dbx.

-GAWollman

Garrett A. Wollman - wollman@emily.uvm.edu

Disclaimer:  I'm not even sure this represents *my* opinion, never
mind UVM's, EMBA's, EMBA-CF's, or indeed anyone else's.