[comp.lang.c] C compiler for Apples

pchen@crhc.uiuc.edu (Paul Chen) (05/14/91)

does any C compiler exist for the apple macintosh, and if so,
who makes it/how much does it cost/etc?

replies to pchen@crhc.uiuc.edu.

thanks,

paul

Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) (05/19/91)

Paul Chen writes in a message to All

PC> does any C compiler exist for the apple macintosh, and if so,
PC> who makes it/how much does it cost/etc?

There are two of them still being actively supported.  Think C from Symantic runs about $165 mail order.  In addition to supporting pretty close to a standard ANSI C, it also adds its own version of object support based on Apple's Object Pascal.  It differs from C++ in that all member functions are virtual, there is no multiple inheritance, no private or protected members and a few other not so important differences.  The trade off is that it is somewhat easier to get started with C++ and comes with its ow

n fairly complete application framework for the Mac.

The other choice is Macintosh Programmer's Workshop C from Apple.  MPW is a very flexible development environment permitting use of multiple languages, scripting, compiled tools, etc.  The disadvantage is that it is more complicated than the Think package, slower, and much more expensive: the shell and the C compiler are $300 without the assembler or symbolic debugger.  On the other hand, you can mix and match source written in C, Pascal, assembler, and C++ as well as third party compilers.  There is also

a very well developed class library, MacApp, which, while in its current guise was written in Object Pascal, can be accessed from C++.

 * Origin: White Mailer Test Point (1.0d6) (1:282/22.510)

daly@ddtg.com (Kathy Daly) (05/29/91)

In article <674629203.18@macgate.fidonet> Jim.Spencer@p510.f22.n282.z1.fidonet.org (Jim Spencer) writes:

>PC> does any C compiler exist for the apple macintosh, and if so,
>PC> who makes it/how much does it cost/etc?
>
>There are two of them still being actively supported.
>Think C from Symantic runs about $165 mail order.
>. . .
>The other choice is Macintosh Programmer's Workshop C from Apple.
>. . .

Over a year ago I enjoyed using Aztec C by Manx on my Macintosh II.
Has it gone into hybernation?
(just curious.  Now I prefer Think C -- no longer called "Lightspeed"?)
--
Kathy E.F.Daly ----- "A bad .signature is better than no .signature at all"
(technically) Camex,Inc. pays me, but I work for DuPont Design Technologies