[comp.lang.c] Avoiding FAQ, goodbye Doug, whither Karl?

lcuff@spectrum.cmc.com (Leonard Cuff) (05/31/91)

Somewhere, somebody writes:

>Hey!  Not everyone knows what subjects have been done to death.  Also, some
>systems delete messages after they are a week or so old.

In this case, another appropriate thing to mention is that new users should read
news.announce.newusers for a couple months before posting.  One of the things
to be learned there is that it is inappropriate to post right away.  Just as
one shouldn't walk up to a group already carrying on a conversation and start
talking.

I for one am sorry to see an expert such as Doug drop out.  (I miss the
Walking Lint, too.  Is Karl gone forever?).  Truly authoritative answers
are a real gift.  The null pointer is done to death in the FAQ list and so
REPLIES that contradict the FAQ are awful to see.  On the other hand, despite
having read the FAQ, I learned quite a bit from the recent two month's
description of machine architecture oddities centered around pointers to
different kinds of objects.

I have a suggestion:  Why don't a few of the people that post regularly to
this group (I personally just read, except now) add pithy lines to
their .signatures that include info about FAQ.  Like this, perhaps:
--
Please read the Frequently Asked Questions list (FAQ) which is posted monthly
before posting to comp.lang.c or (your favorite newsgroup goes here).  Also