[comp.lang.c] Needed: a public domain regular expression interpreter

EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ed Nilges) (05/31/91)

I need an interpreter for regular expressions as described on pp.
102 thru 105 of Kernighan/Pike's THE UNIX PROGRAMMING ENVIRONMENT
(Prentice-Hall 1984.)  The interpreter must meet these requirements:

     1.  It must be in C.

     2.  It must be meet egrep rather than grep specifications.

     3.  It must be in the public domain.

     4.  It must be fully documented and of high quality.

I will post my own version if I happen to get it done before acquiring
something decent in the public domain.  Thanks.

Ed Nilges

In article <12817@pucc.Princeton.EDU> EGNILGES@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>I need an interpreter for regular expressions...
>     1.  It must be in C.
>     2.  It must be meet egrep rather than grep specifications.
>     3.  It must be in the public domain.
>     4.  It must be fully documented and of high quality.

If you're willing to settle for one that is freely redistributable --
"public domain" is a legal term with a very specific meaning, not a
synonym for "freely redistributable" -- my regexp package is widely
available, widely known, and widely used.
--
"We're thinking about upgrading from    | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 to SunOS 3.5."              |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry