[comp.lang.c] exploding software

cnrdean@cavebear.berkeley.edu (05/24/91)

Anybody know of some standard C code (I need it for Turbo C)
that will make a program not work after a particular date?

Thanks.
Sam

rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu (Robert Earl) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.221811.21343@agate.berkeley.edu> cnrdean@cavebear.berkeley.edu writes:

|   Anybody know of some standard C code (I need it for Turbo C)
|   that will make a program not work after a particular date?

Yeah, how about:

	t = time(0L);

:-)

			\
 robert earl		/	"Love is a many splintered thing"
 rearl@watnxt3.ucr.edu	\		--Sisters of Mercy
 rearl@gnu.ai.mit.edu	/

pt@geovision.gvc.com (Paul Tomblin) (05/24/91)

cnrdean@cavebear.berkeley.edu writes:

>Anybody know of some standard C code (I need it for Turbo C)
>that will make a program not work after a particular date?

The best, and only unbreakable method of doing this is to fire up
your trusty word processor, and send them a letter saying that
after that date, you are not going to provide tech support, upgrades,
and all the other stuff that a REAL program should come with.

(If it doesn't come with that stuff, why would people pay for it,
since any copy protection can be broken)

TRUE STORY:
At my last job, we had an evaluation copy of MOSS (a terrain modelling
system), that we were licensed to use for one pilot project, finishing
at a certain date.  Well, due to political reasons, the project went
over time, but we didn't want MOSS to stop working.  We suspected that
the MOSS evaluation copy had one of these stupid "stop working after
such-and-such-date" routines in it, so we wrote a
dummy versions of all the routines that return the system date, and
patched the executable.  It then continued for the rest of the pilot,
at which point we got authorization to get the REAL version.

So much for trying to make programs blow up at a certain date.
--
Paul Tomblin, Department of Redundancy Department.       ! My employer does
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I/ I took the one less ! not stand by my

enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) (05/26/91)

"Sam" writes:

|   Anybody know of some standard C code (I need it for Turbo C)
|   that will make a program not work after a particular date?

I'm looking for some standard C code which will make a program WORK
after a particular date.  Any takers?

</Erik>
--
Erik Naggum             Professional Programmer            +47-2-836-863
Naggum Software             Electronic Text             <ERIK@NAGGUM.NO>

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (05/28/91)

In article <ENAG.91May26161252@gyda.ifi.uio.no> enag@ifi.uio.no (Erik Naggum) writes:
>I'm looking for some standard C code which will make a program WORK
>after a particular date.  Any takers?

I know of many programs that could benefit from such code :-)

-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) (05/29/91)

cnrdean@cavebear.berkeley.edu writes:

> Anybody know of some standard C code (I need it for Turbo C)
> that will make a program not work after a particular date?

This is a specific example of the general problem of software
copy protection. No method is foolproof. One simple technique
is to write a date at the end of the .exe and have the program
open the file and compare this date to the current date. This
doesn't trash the .exe since the loader knows when to stop reading.

Finding the location of the .exe and other anti-copy protection
problems are left as an exercise.

Interestingly, I wrote a short 10 liner to do this for a friend and
it worked for Zortech and Microsoft but failed for Turbo.

--
Shane Bouslough    |  ...!rutgers!mcdhup!inferno!shane           516-467-0500
Periphonics Corp.  |                                             Ride Bike!

jja@wsl.ie (John Allen on wsl) (06/07/91)

In article <1991May29.165444.6387@inferno.peri.com> shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) writes:

>This is a specific example of the general problem of software
>copy protection. No method is foolproof. One simple technique
>is to write a date at the end of the .exe and have the program
>open the file and compare this date to the current date. This
>doesn't trash the .exe since the loader knows when to stop reading.
>
>Interestingly, I wrote a short 10 liner to do this for a friend and
>it worked for Zortech and Microsoft but failed for Turbo.

Any chance of telling us why the Turbo version did'nt work, let's see the code.

		|\/\/\/|
		|      |
		| (-)(o)
		|     _)
		| ,___|
		|   /
	   /____\   And the BART raised up his hands and said unto the masses.

People that don't know want to know from the people that do know and if the
poeple that do know don't tell the people that don't know then the people
that don't know still won't know.
   "Don't quote me on any issue whatsoever, unless you feel oblidged to."