[comp.lang.c] TC++, TC++ Pro and Borland C++

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) (06/04/91)

I stopped by a local computer store last Sunday and they had the
following packages:

Turbo C++ for ~ $80

Turbo C++ Professional for a few more $$.

Borland C++ for $300 more.

As I am interested in moving up from TC 2.0 to TC++ on my home
(hobby) system ($$'s are important) could someone explain the
difference between these packages other than price and tonage
( the BC++ box weighs 5 times more than the othrs :^).

Thanks in advance.

Bob Rager

Ain't no place like ${HOME}

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (06/05/91)

rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) writes:

>I stopped by a local computer store last Sunday and they had the
>following packages:

>Turbo C++ for ~ $80

>Turbo C++ Professional for a few more $$.

>Borland C++ for $300 more.

	TC++: C/C++ Compiler, fairly good build-in debugger.

	TC++ Pro: C/C++ Compiler, Excellent Debugger, Assembler, Profiler.

	BC++: All of TC++ Pro plus Windows programming ability.

ian@rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.141147.28940@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
>I stopped by a local computer store last Sunday and they had the
>following packages:
>
>Turbo C++ for ~ $80
>
>Turbo C++ Professional for a few more $$.
>
>Borland C++ for $300 more.

  If you are a college student (or know one) the educational prices are
  $50 for TC++ and $99 for BC++.

  It was cheaper for me to buy BC++ at the educational price than to upgrade
  TC++.  So I now have a perfectly good and complete TC++ package that is
  collecting dust.  I'll sell it to anyone for $30.  You can upgrade it to
  BC++ for less money than it costs to buy BC++.  Does anyone know if Borland
  allows you to transfer your registration?

--
Ian Hogg                        email:  rathe!ian@cs.umn.edu
                                        ...!umn-cs!rathe!ian

ferdie@coyote.datalog.com (fred jarvis) (06/07/91)

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM (228-4197,ATTT) writes:
> >I stopped by a local computer store last Sunday and they had the
> >following packages:
> >Turbo C++ for ~ $80
> >Turbo C++ Professional for a few more $$.
> >Borland C++ for $300 more.
>
> 	TC++: C/C++ Compiler, fairly good build-in debugger.
>
> 	TC++ Pro: C/C++ Compiler, Excellent Debugger, Assembler, Profiler.
>
> 	BC++: All of TC++ Pro plus Windows programming ability.

TC++ Pro is no longer a current product. TC++ is probably not, either,
having been replaced by TC++, 2nd Edition (TC++ vsn 1.01).
TC++ Pro is I think equivalent to TC++, 2nd Edition, plus
"Turbo Debugger & Tools 2.0".  I'd call Borland (1-800-331-0877)
to make sure you're not buying older versions.

coates@uc780.umd.edu (06/08/91)

Turbo C++ is a C++ compiler period, well it has an integrated development
environment in addition to the compiler. The "IDE" incorporates an editor
a compiler, a linker, a make utility, in a tightly integrated, "easy to
move back and forth" environment.
Turbo C++ Professional in addition to the above has Turbo Assembler,
Turbo Debugger, and Turbo Profiler (logs number of times lines of code
are called).
Some say both Turbo's are buggy, I haven't used either enuff to say, although
I own the professional version.
I didn't have the time to learn c++ when I got the package a year ago. Now
I'm learning Windows programming with Borland C++.
I'm programming Windows in C not C++.
The package bombs on my AMI 386-25 when running in the IDE and a mouse driver
is loaded. From the command line (no IDE) it performs damn well.
The thing about Borland C++ is that it "does Wnidows". Iis able to produce
Windows programs.
I'm suppose othres have responded, but if they haven't, this may help.
Good Programming and Happy Computing!

*                   Elliott Coates, Washington DC                     *
*                       coates@uc780.umd.edu                          *

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.185813.13016@rathe.cs.umn.edu>, ian@rathe.cs.umn.edu (Ian Hogg) wrote:
}In article <1991Jun4.141147.28940@cbnewsl.att.com> rbr@bonnie.ATT.COM writes:
}  If you are a college student (or know one) the educational prices are
}  $50 for TC++ and $99 for BC++.

The CMU computer store has BC++ for $91 (+ tax), making it a lot cheaper
than TC++ Pro ($128 + tax).  Of course, it takes them three months to
get a new version, so I went ahead and upgraded direct from Borland for
$99.

--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/53
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CARNEGIE   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask