[comp.lang.c] Writing WIN Apps w/ TC++, diff. between TC++ and C++

mdcg7180@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael David Carr) (06/16/91)

Can someone please give me some insight into writing apps for Windows
in C (or C++).  I'm confused by the different prices I've seen for
Borland's compilers, and none of the sales people know what I'm talking
about when I ask about programming for Windows.

	1)  What is the latest version of Turbo C++, and what _should_
	    the street price be (I've seen $70-$150)?
	2)  What is needed to write Windows Apps using TC++?
	3)  What is the difference between TC++ and Borland C++
	    (I see that C++ includes Window App Libraries)?

Thanks in advance,
Michael Carr
mdcg7180@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

coates@uc780.umd.edu (06/17/91)

If you want to write Windows apps you must buy Borland C++ not Turbo C++.
BC++ comes with or without other development tools, such as a debugger,
Turbo assembler, and a profiler which records the number of times lines of
code are executed, so that you can optimize code. The BC++ with the tools
is called BC++ Professional. It costs about $350.00. And is well worth the
price. Watch out when using a mouse with the IDE in BC++. With either the
Microsoft or Logitech drivers my IDE crashed as carried out the edit-pile
complie cycle. I have an AMI 386-25 motherboard, made in 1989. There is
supposed to be a patch but I haven't been able to uzip a working cypy
from anon-ftp's. Called Borland, but they have been of little help.
I now use the compiler from the command line only. You may not ahve
these troubles and even for me this is the only other way to do Windows
without spending $450.00 plus bucks for the Microsoft SDK. Also
(scratch 'Also') Good
Good Luck!

*                     Elliott Coates, washington dc                      *
*                         coates@uc780.umd.edu                           *
*                             coates@uc780.bitnet                        *

joe@proto.com (Joe Huffman) (06/18/91)

coates@uc780.umd.edu writes:

>these troubles and even for me this is the only other way to do Windows
>without spending $450.00 plus bucks for the Microsoft SDK. Also

The Zortech 3.0 C/C++ doesn't require the SDK and educational discounts are
available -- in the U.S. call 800-848-8408 and ask for more information.

---
Zortech mailing list: send email to 'ztc-list-request@zortech.com' with:
Add: your-user-name@your-machine-name
In the body of the message.
---
Send Zortech bug reports to 'zortech-bugs@zortech.com'
Send requests for educational discounts to 'zortech-ed@zortech.com'
---
Zortech is my major source of income.  Statements about them or their
competitors cannot be totally without bias.

--
uunet!proto!joe
joe@proto.com