[comp.lang.c] Intel 386 C

glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) (06/10/91)

Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
Let me know of any evaluations people have if they have tried
doing this..thanks..

glenn
glenn@zeus.ocs.com

coy@ssc-vax (Stephen B Coy) (06/12/91)

In article <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:

>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
>Let me know of any evaluations people have if they have tried
>doing this..thanks..

Yes, it comes with a DOS extender that is automatiacally bound with
your application upon linking.  The DOS extender will recognize up
to 16Mb of extended RAM and can be set up to use up to 4Gb of disk
space for virtual memory.  Perhaps the nicest thing about the DOS
extender is that Intel requires NO royalties for distribution of
executables unlike Phar Lap and Ergo.  The DOS extender is DPMI
compliant which means that it runs just fine under a Windows DOS box
when you're in 386 enhanced mode.  Speed wise, the impression I've
gotten is that the Intel package compiles slightly slower than
Watcom 386 (but still reasonable) and executes about the same speed
depending on the code, of course.  Output to stdout seems slower for
some reason which I haven't looked into yet.  Price wise, compared
to Watcom 386 and a DOS extender and royalties you just can't beat
the price of the Intel package.

If anyone has any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.
Followups moved to comp.os.msdos.programmer.

Stephen Coy
coy@ssc-vax.UUCP

discalimer:  I have no connection with Intel except for a $500 hole
in my Visa card.

nevries@cs.ruu.nl (Nico de Vries) (06/12/91)

In <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:

>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
>Let me know of any evaluations people have if they have tried
>doing this..thanks..
>
>glenn
>glenn@zeus.ocs.com
What is so special about that? Even the public domain GNU C++ compiler
for 386 processors has this feature. I personally would advice you
to use Watcon C 8.0 and a PharLap DOS extender supporting virtual
memory. This combination is VCPI compliant (which INTEL-C isn't)
which allows it to run under DesqView and the upcomming DescView/X
MS-DOS X-Windows environment.
I have to admit that INTEL supports DPMI (from Windwoes 3.0) but
I suppose you want to use a 386 compiler for the speed and than
seems Windows not to be the best solution.

Nico de Vries

gened@techbook.com (Gene Daniel) (06/14/91)

nevries@cs.ruu.nl (Nico de Vries) writes:

>In <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:

>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
>Let me know of any evaluations people have if they have tried
>doing this..thanks..
>
>glenn
>glenn@zeus.ocs.com

There will soon be another alternative for creating 386 executables.
Zortech C++ developers edition version 3.0 has been announced and will
be shipping later this month. Some of the high points:

      DOS386 compiler - true 32 bit code.
      Royalty free 32bit and 16bit DOS extenders.
      Includes all that is needed for windows programming.
      Supports DPMI and VCPI.
      Includes library that translates command line program to Windows.
      Runtime library source code.
      Class library.
      OS/2 compiler.

All this for $699.95 list price (I've seen it discounted for $599.95). One
thing that is really great is if you have Zortech C++ version 2.1x you can
upgrade for $99.00!!!!

Disclaimer: I'm not associated with Zortech except for being a VERY
satisfied customer.

--
gened@techbook.COM  ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!gened
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) (06/14/91)

In article <1234@ocsmd.com>,
	glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:
>Has anyone used INTEL386 C?  It is supposed to make 386 executables
>that don't need a DOS extender!  It apparently wraps its own
>DOS extender into the executable!  Sounds too good to be true?!
>Let me know of any evaluations people have if they have tried
>doing this..thanks..

I don't have all the particulars becuase it's just about to be
released, but the new Zortech C++ compiler (3.0) also as royalty
free DOS extender technology. I believe it even works on 286 too.
I think it has a 16MB limit. They've been working with a DOS extender
company for a while for making their compiler a DOS extender application,
so perhaps they just lisenced the technology for their customers. Nice!

--
Periphonics Corp.  | Shane Bouslough is: shane@inferno.peri.com    Ride Bike!
4000 Veterans Hwy. |

glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.113801.27306@cs.ruu.nl> nevries@cs.ruu.nl (Nico de Vries) writes:
>In <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:
>
>What is so special about that? Even the public domain GNU C++ compiler
>for 386 processors has this feature. I personally would advice you
>to use Watcon C 8.0 and a PharLap DOS extender supporting virtual

And pay royalties..

--

Glenn Ford
glenn@zeus.ocs.com

iris@interet.UUCP (User) (06/16/91)

In article <1240@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.113801.27306@cs.ruu.nl> nevries@cs.ruu.nl (Nico de Vries) writes:
>>In <1234@ocsmd.com> glenn@zeus.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:
>>
>>What is so special about that? Even the public domain GNU C++ compiler
>>for 386 processors has this feature. I personally would advice you
>>to use Watcon C 8.0 and a PharLap DOS extender supporting virtual
>
>And pay royalties..

PharLap does NOT require royalty payments for application programs
which are bound together with its extender.  The BIND.EXE program is
provided togther with the RUN386.EXE extender.  BIND is used to
convert YOURPROG.EXP into YOURPROG.EXE which includes the PharLap
extender.  YOURPROG.EXE may then be freely distributed without
royalties.  Only if you distribute RUN386 must you pay royalties.
Iris Engelson                          uunet!iris@interet
Director of Software Development       Tel: 201-763-1200
Interet                                Fax: 201-763-5120
111 Dunnell Road
Maplewood, NJ 07040

doug@proto.com (Doug Huffman) (06/17/91)

shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) writes:

>I don't have all the particulars becuase it's just about to be
>released, but the new Zortech C++ compiler (3.0) also as royalty
>free DOS extender technology. I believe it even works on 286 too.
>I think it has a 16MB limit. They've been working with a DOS extender
>company for a while for making their compiler a DOS extender application,
>so perhaps they just lisenced the technology for their customers. Nice!

There are two separate DOS extenders.  One is for the 286 and is licensed
from Rational Systems.  The resultant executable will (of course) run on
386 machines.  The other is for the 386 and will run only on 386's and 486's
and is licensed from me.  The 386 one has a 64 MB limit under DOS and VCPI
because the BIOS returns the number of K bytes of extended memory available
in a 16 bit register, under DPMI you have less because things are different
... (understatement of the month).

uunet!proto!doug
doug@proto.com

bright@nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun14.161614.2277@inferno.peri.com> shane@inferno.peri.com (Shane Bouslough) writes:
/I don't have all the particulars becuase it's just about to be
/released, but the new Zortech C++ compiler (3.0) also as royalty
/free DOS extender technology. I believe it even works on 286 too.
/I think it has a 16MB limit. They've been working with a DOS extender
/company for a while for making their compiler a DOS extender application,
/so perhaps they just lisenced the technology for their customers. Nice!

ZTC 3.0 has two DOS extenders, a 16 bit one for 286/386/486, and a 32
bit one for 386/486. Each can use all physical memory installed in the
machine, which is 16Mb for the 286 and up to whatever for the 386.
Both support DPMI, VCPI, XMS, and bare metal.
Both extenders are included, royalty free, and require no redistribution
license.

Neither does virtual memory.

ZTC 3.0 still supports Pharlap's 386 Extender and Rational's 286 Extender,
if you prefer to use theirs.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions about it. I love email!