[comp.lang.modula2] OSSI, A beautiful system!

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (11/14/86)

[]

I've now looked over the OSSI definition modules that were placed on the net and
read the article "A Portable Operating System Interface and Utility Library" in
the November 86 IEEE Software and have a few questions and comments.

OSSI as described in the paper looks like what I've been wanting for a long
time. A full function machine independent library system for Modula-2. I like
it. Bravo to the developers!

I'm looking forward to seeing the other 7 OSSI definition modules discussed in
the paper. If these have been distributed over the net, I missed them. Could
someone please forward copies to me. These are the definitions of SIWindows,
SITextWindows, SIGraphicWindows, SITurtle, SIMenus, SIMouse, and SIFullScreen.
The elegance and portability of the interactive interface defined by these
modules is described in glowing terms in the IEEE Software paper. It would be
hard for me to understand why the authors would not distribute the full
specification of ( quoting from the last line of the paper ) "a candidate for a
standard Modula-2 library."

Even with out the interactive interface I think OSSI is a move in the right
directions.

		Bob Pendleton

hinrichs@unc.UUCP (Klaus Hinrichs) (11/18/86)

In article <240@esunix.UUCP> bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) writes:
>[...]
>
>I'm looking forward to seeing the other 7 OSSI definition modules discussed in
>the paper. If these have been distributed over the net, I missed them. Could
>someone please forward copies to me. These are the definitions of SIWindows,
>SITextWindows, SIGraphicWindows, SITurtle, SIMenus, SIMouse, and SIFullScreen.
>The elegance and portability of the interactive interface defined by these
>modules is described in glowing terms in the IEEE Software paper. It would be
>hard for me to understand why the authors would not distribute the full
>specification of ( quoting from the last line of the paper ) "a candidate for a
>standard Modula-2 library."
>
>		Bob Pendleton

We have not yet posted the interactive modules of OSSI. We are currently
making some minor revisions to these modules, and will post them as soon
as we are done, sometime next week.

		Klaus Hinrichs,			Ed Biagioni
		hinrichs@unc.cs.edu		biagioni@unc.cs.edu
		seismo!mcnc!unc!hinrichs	seismo!mcnc!unc!biagioni

P.S. We have had problems reaching some of the people who sent us mail.
Please make sure you include your UUCP or CSNET address in any electronic
mail you send us.