[comp.lang.modula2] Orphaned Response

ao@coma.UUCP (11/07/86)

/***** coma:net.lang.mod2 / hslrswi!paul /  5:08 pm  Nov  3, 1986*/

> The Cambridge University (UK) 4.2bsd Vax/68000 Modula-2 system has an
> automatic makefile generator - m2make(1) - which depends on the module
> lookup mechanism used by the compiler/linker/debugger.

We use Version V171/VAX11:185 of the compiler.

> This is implemented
> by means of a simple environment variable M2PATH and searches successive
> directories for source files (.{def,mod}) and hidden sub-directories of
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> successive directories (.{lnk,sym,ref,key}/module) for compiler output
> files.

If m2make is called in a directory without hidden sub-directories,
it generates a makefile containing syntax erros.
The subsequent make fails.

e.g.
   mkdir test
   cd test
   vi test.mod
   m2make test
   make  <- syntax error

Is is not always obvious, that you missed to give the m2hdir command.

But I agree, m2make is very powerful and straightforward,
if you use one makefile per directory.

Arnfried, ao @ db0tui62.BITNET == coma.UUCP in Berlin ( West )

ao@coma.UUCP (11/21/86)

> /***** coma:net.lang.mod2 / jade!ucsccis /  7:18 am  Nov 16, 1986*/
> Subject: Modula-2 compiler for ISI 68020 supermicros...
>
> Does anybody know of a Modula-2 compiler for ISI 68020 supermicros?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Jacob M. Parnas

You could try our adaption of the Cambridge (UK) Modula2 4-Pass Compiler.

We have the beast running on several 68k's under several Unix derivates.

The one at mcvax!unido!tub, ( yes, really an ISI 68020/BSD4.2 )
is not heavily used, so I cannot guarantee for it.

Also, you have to get a license agreement from the
Cambridge University Computing Laboratory.

73, Arnfried Ossen, TU-Berlin (West)

ao @ db0tui62.BITNET == coma.UUCP