[comp.lang.modula2] Query:Speed of Mod2 vs C

dickow@ui3.UUCP (01/15/87)

Blug...

   Concerning Modula2, I have never used it. I have used Pascal and now
program in PROMAL, which is a sort of amalgam of C and (I think) Modula
2.
   The question I have, since I am considering buying a Modula2 system
to program on my Amiga, is... how does Modula2 rate in overall execution
speed compared to C? The ads for the Amiga Modula2 say nothing about
this, and it is important to me on general principles.

Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (01/21/87)

In article <410001@ui3.UUCP>, dickow@ui3.UUCP writes:
>    The question I have, since I am considering buying a Modula2 system
> to program on my Amiga, is... how does Modula2 rate in overall execution
> speed compared to C? The ads for the Amiga Modula2 say nothing about
> this, and it is important to me on general principles.
> Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

Yes, Modula-2 on the Amiga is faster than C. While I cannot attribute
this the language itself, the compiler is a lot nicer. It also has
a linker that actually prunes unused modules from the executable
and thus decreases load time. I have been debating if I should get
the latest upgrade (I always seem to lose these debates :-)) The
only thing that isn't great is the inability to easily use C examples
posted by other sources. Since invariably they use some lazy type
checking to an advantage.

--
--Chuck McManis

Dickson@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA.UUCP (01/22/87)

The only Modula-2 compiler I know of for the Amiga in put out by TDI,
are there any others?

Well, anyway, TDI has a new version of their compiler out. It's supposed
to be 33% smaller and 33% faster, will no overlays used by the compiler.
I going to upgrade my compiler as soon as I can scratch up the money (I
also want to upgrade from the developer's version to the commercial
version).

I haven't used my compiler much lately, but I plan to soon. I just
finished a hardware project where I added two 3.5" drives to my Amiga,
so I can now run the compiler without disk swapping.

          Paul Dickson
          Dickson%pco @ BCO-Multics
          Dickson @ MIT-Multics

lo035736@cisunx.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <410001@ui3.UUCP> dickow@ui3.UUCP writes:
>Blug...
>
>   The question I have, since I am considering buying a Modula2 system
>to program on my Amiga, is... how does Modula2 rate in overall execution
>speed compared to C? The ads for the Amiga Modula2 say nothing about
>this, and it is important to me on general principles.
>

>Bob Dickow (...egg-id!ui3!dickow)

I have been using the TDI Modula2 for several months now and I think it is
very nice.  It seems to be somewhere between Lattice 3.03 and Manx in both
compilation and execution speed.  I have never done any benchmarks so this
is all subjective.  Also, I just got my order form for version 3.0 which
they claim is 33% faster and smaller than the last version.

Ben Jacobs