[comp.lang.modula2] Modula-2 on Xenix?

cornwell@NRL-CSS.ARPA (Mark Cornwell) (05/01/87)

I'm looking for a Modula-2 compiler to develop and application based on
the Xenix (a UNIX look alike) operating system on IBM PC-AT's.  I spoke
with Modula Corp in UTAH and they did not themselves have a version running
under Xenix on the AT.  However, we did talk about the possibility of
modifying their Modula-2 source to run under Xenix.  Two things we would
have to do is change the formats of the object files go their MS-DOS based
compiler would generate Xenix compatible load modules, and modify those
parts of the compiler that make explicit MS-DOS operating system calls.
Without a clear idea of how the load module formats differ and the the
internals of their Modula compiler, I can't give a really good estimate
of how long it would take to do such a conversions.  My gut feeling is that
a good programmer should be able to do it in about two weeks.  If it takes
longer, it is probably too hard to do.

So, does anyone have any guidance?  If there is a modula-2 compiler out there
that runs on PC's with Xenix operating systems please tell me.  If you
have looked at a port such as ours and have insights that would be valuable
too.  Please send a copy of any response directly to me as well as to
the bbd if you choose to do the latter.  I am not a regular reader of this
list.

-Thanks
 Mark R. Cornwell
 cornwell@nrl-css

 Code 7590
 Naval Research Lab
 Washington, D.C.  20375-5000
 (202)767-6698

paul@hslrswi.UUCP (05/13/87)

In article <8705011554.AA17698@nrl-css.ARPA> cornwell@NRL-CSS.ARPA
(Mark Cornwell) writes:

>I'm looking for a Modula-2 compiler to develop and application based on
>the Xenix (a UNIX look alike) operating system on IBM PC-AT's.

Logitech have just released version 0.5 of their Modula-2 system for
SCO/Microsoft Xenix on AT's.

As far as I know it has been in use at CERN in Geneva for some time with
good reports.

It has both the old (book) library, plus a new I/O library that is quite
close to the, as yet un-finalized, ISO/BSI standard Modula-2 library proposal.

Given the excellent quality of the Logitech MS-DOS system, this should be
a good product.

Paul Breslaw