[comp.lang.modula2] Eisenbach/Henry/Cox IO library

broman@BUGS.NOSC.MIL.UUCP (06/05/87)

I'm impressed with "the Proposed Modula-2 IO Standard" as described in
the document from the BSI working group. (Eisenbach/Henry/Cox).
"Simple and elegant" were my first impressions.

Can anyone tell me whether this is Yet Another Proposed Standard,
or whether this baby has a chance of flying?

Can anyone point me to complete DEFINITION MODULEs?  The paper is
quite sketchy, more a design than a spec.  (Hoping to get hands
on a real live implementation would be hubris, no?)

If this library has some prospects, I'd be interested in implementing
it at home for Logitech v2.0, based only on MS-DOS, not all the
other Logitech paraphernalia.  Whether this hobbyist project will succeed
is as much your guess as mine.

Thanks for any pointers.

Vincent Broman,  code 632, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA 92152, USA
Phone: +1 619 225 2365    Internet: broman@nosc.mil   Uucp: sdcsvax!nosc!broman

rbh@computer-science.nottingham.ac.UK.UUCP (06/12/87)

In message <8706042352.AA04551@bugs.nosc.mil>, Vincent Broman
<broman@mil.nosc.bugs> writes:

> I'm impressed with "the Proposed Modula-2 IO Standard" as described in
> the document from the BSI working group. (Eisenbach/Henry/Cox).
> "Simple and elegant" were my first impressions.

> Can anyone tell me whether this is Yet Another Proposed Standard,
> or whether this baby has a chance of flying?

I am not sure which document this is, but the latest description of the library
is contained in the BSI Working Group Document N133 Issue 1 dated 28-03-87
(I/O Library Description and Rationale, Roger Henry).
This is also Document D7 of the ISO Working Group WG13.  It contains several
draft definition modules.

The BSI proposal was discussed at the first ISO Modula-2 meeting at Nottingham
on April 1-3 1987 where some useful comments and suggestions were made.
The general outcome was that the BSI group was asked to explore the
possibility of incorporating ideas from another library, which was also
presented, and had some similarities of structure (MINOS, Martin Odersky,
doc. D13).

At a recent meeting of the BSI group (June 1st/2nd), it was decided to introduce
modifications to the error handling which would allow for both the
precondition-testing style favoured by BSI and the postoperation enquiry
style of MINOS. It is believed that this can be achieved without incurring
buffering overheads in the case where preconditions are not tested.
Several other changes to simplify the structure of the BSI library were
adopted.

I am now in the process of producing a new document, describing the latest
version of the proposed BSI Standard Library, together with definition
modules.  When complete, this will be widely and rapidly published.
Further revision may be necessary in view of comments expected from the
French Modula-2 group.
The BSI group will present the new proposals at the next meeting of WG13
which is due to be held in Nice towards the end of the year.

Copies of BSI/ISO papers may be obtained via subscription services run
in the USA by

	Richard Karpinski
	6521 Raymond St.
	Oakland, CA 94609
	(tel - (415) 476-4529)
	(dick@cca.ucsf.edu)

and in the UK by

	Steve Collins
	Real Time Associates Ltd
	Canning House
	59 Canning Road
	Croydon
	Surrey
	CRO 6QF
	(tel - +44 1 656 7333/4/5

Roger Henry, Department of Computer Science, University of Nottingham, UK
(JANET) rbh@uk.ac.nott.cs
(ARPANET) rbh%cs.nott.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa
(BITNET/EARN) rbh%nott.cs@ac.uk
(UUCP) ...!ukc!nott.cs!rbh