[comp.lang.modula2] compilers for vaxes running unix

sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) (08/27/87)

Some time ago sometime asked for information on supported compilers
for vaxes running Unix/Ultrix, and I haven't seen a response.  I am
currently using the DEC Powell compiler for my classes.  Our computer
center would like to buy a supported compiler if they can find one.

Is the Cambridge compiler supported?  How much does it cost?  Does anyone
have an address to order it?  Are there commercial compilers out there?

Fred Sullivan
Department of Mathematical Sciences
State University of New York at Binghamton
Binghamton, New York  13903
Email: sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu

king@gatech.edu (K. N. King) (08/28/87)

In article <680@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
> Some time ago sometime asked for information on supported compilers
> for vaxes running Unix/Ultrix, and I haven't seen a response.  I am
> currently using the DEC Powell compiler for my classes.  Our computer
> center would like to buy a supported compiler if they can find one.
>
> Is the Cambridge compiler supported?  How much does it cost?  Does anyone
> have an address to order it?  Are there commercial compilers out there?

The Cambridge compiler is now distributed by the following company:

Qudos Limited
Unit 2
Cambridge Science Park
Milton Road
Cambridge CB4 4FD
England
(0223) 862333
Telex:  818114
Fax: 862946

Since it is now a commercial product, presumably it comes with a
reasonable amount of support.  I don't know the price; perhaps
someone else will post it.

The only other VAX/UNIX compiler I know of (other than Powell's)
is a beta-test version from Tartan Laboratories.  They offered it to
universities last year for a reasonably small fee, but when I talked to
them this spring they had discontinued the offer for lack of interest.
If you would like to see this compiler made available, you should let
them know.  Contact Scott Wilson at the following address:

Tartan Laboratories, Inc.
461 Melwood Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA  15213
(412) 621-2210

Incidentally, those who use Powell's compiler should be aware
that the language it compiles deviates in many respects from the
language described in Wirth's _Programming in Modula-2_.  Some
of the discussions I have seen lately in this newsgroup stem
from users of the Powell compiler complaining that other compilers
don't behave the same way it does.  Users of this compiler should
note that it does _not_ define Modula-2.  I am not criticizing
Powell's compiler; it has many attractive features.  However,
unlike many other compilers, it was written from scratch rather than
being a modified version of an ETH compiler.  As a result, Powell
often interpreted language issues differently than other compiler
writers.  He also added a number of extensions that other compilers
do not support.

--Kim King

mcauley@jumbo.dec.com (Derek McAuley) (08/28/87)

I beleive that the Cambridge compiler is no longer supplied by Qudos (as
of ~ 8 weeks ago) if you want it from the Cambridge computer lab. the
person to contact is Peter Robinson (pr%cl.cam.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk or
pr%cl.cam.ac.uk@cwi.nl):

Computer Laboratory,
Cambridge University,
Corn Exchnage Street,
Cambridge,
ENGLAND.

peterson@ti-csl.UUCP (08/29/87)

In article <680@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> sullivan@marge.math.binghamton.edu (fred sullivan) writes:
>Some time ago sometime asked for information on supported compilers
>for vaxes running Unix/Ultrix, and I haven't seen a response.  I am
>currently using the DEC Powell compiler for my classes.  Our computer
>center would like to buy a supported compiler if they can find one.

  The September issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal of Software Tools contains
an advertisment placed by Logitech, Inc.  The ad is on page 145.  Near
the bottom of the last column of text is the statement, "Call for
information about our VAX/VMS version, Site License, University
discounts, Dealer & Distributior pricing."  Yes, I realize you asked for
Unix compilers, but perhaps a phone call is still in order.  Who knows,
Logitech might be persuaded to do a Unix port, if enough people ask.
  The listed phone numbers are
	800-231-7717 (orders from outside California)
	800-552-8885 (orders from inside California)
	415-795-8500 (all other)

  I have no relationship with Logitech, except as a satisfied user of
their MS-DOS tools.  I have no experience with their VAX software.

--
   Hardcopy    and       Electronic Addresses:      and     Office:
Bob Peterson           Compuserve: 76703,532                NB CSC Aisle:C2

king@gatech.edu (K. N. King) (09/01/87)

In article <906@jumbo.dec.com>, mcauley@jumbo.dec.com (Derek McAuley) writes:
> I beleive that the Cambridge compiler is no longer supplied by Qudos (as
> of ~ 8 weeks ago) if you want it from the Cambridge computer lab. the
> person to contact is Peter Robinson (pr%cl.cam.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk or
> pr%cl.cam.ac.uk@cwi.nl):
>
> Computer Laboratory,
> Cambridge University,
> Corn Exchnage Street,
> Cambridge,
> ENGLAND.

I sent mail to Peter Robinson a few days ago to check this.  He wrote
back that Qudos is indeed the distributor for the Cambridge compiler,
so my original posting was correct.  If you missed it, here's how
you can contact Qudos:

Qudos Limited
Unit 2
Cambridge Science Park