[comp.lang.modula2] m2make and Modula-2 pretty-printer

COK2@MTS.DURHAM.AC.UK (Barry_Cornelius) (09/14/87)

I would like the source of 'm2make'.   Is it freely available?

Also, is there a Modula-2 pretty-printer available?
==
Barry Cornelius
==
Address:
   Computer Science Group, School of Engineering and Applied Science,
   University of Durham, Durham, DH1 3LE, England
Electronic Mail Addresses:
   JANET:       Barry_Cornelius@uk.ac.dur.mts
   ARPANET:     Barry_Cornelius%mts.dur.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
   UUCP:        ...ukc!mts.dur.ac.uk!Barry_Cornelius
   BITNET/EARN: Barry_Cornelius%DUR.MTS@AC.UK

drc@dbase.UUCP (09/16/87)

The new SemperSoft Modula-2 compiler for the Macintosh comes with a Pretty
Printer (including source).  It's pretty vanilla (no Mac interface) and is
derived from a Pascal pretty-printer by a fellow at Shell Oil.  There is also
a makefile maker in the package, but I don't believe the source is included
for that one.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team

alan@pdn.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <8709141444.AA22428@cayuga.cs.rochester.edu> COK2@MTS.DURHAM.AC.UK.UUCP writes:
>I would like the source of 'm2make'.   Is it freely available?
>
>Also, is there a Modula-2 pretty-printer available?

PMI in Oregon sells a variety of tools for Modula-2, including a macro
pre-processor.  I don't remember specifically seeing any pretty printers
or make utilities in their library, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Their stuff is of good quality and *very* reasonably priced.

--alan@pdn

[Barry:  when can we expect a Modula-2 standard out of BSI, by the way?]

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP (09/20/87)

In article <1346@pdn.UUCP> alan@pdn writes:
> PMI in Oregon sells a variety of tools for Modula-2, including a macro
> pre-processor.  I don't remember specifically seeing any pretty printers
> or make utilities in their library, but I wouldn't be surprised.
>
> Their stuff is of good quality and *very* reasonably priced.
>
> --alan@pdn

I second Alan's remarks!  I've been using PMI's Repertoire windowing
package for over a year now with great success.  It's part of a product
that I've written which is commercially available and selling well,
due in part to the PMI package.

The guys at PMI are helpful and very interested in what you're doing.

My only complaint?  Repertoire uses (actually, is BASED on) linked list
data structures and if your compiler (are you listening, Logitech?) does
lousy pointer transformations, your application CAN suffer.

I'm beta testing a new Modula-2 compiler (can't say who) for the PC and
they do a MUCH better job of dealing with pointers, so Repertoire is
pretty nifty on it.  If this Modula-2 compiler appears on the market in
any reasonable time frame (as I expect it will), that combination will
be pretty awesome!

Too bad 'this company' didn't release their product before Logitech
introduced their excluding linker...

bruce bergman
--
allegra!\                         TeleSoft, Inc.
gould9!  \      crash!--\         (619) 457-2700 x123
           >--sdcsvax!---->--telesoft!bruceb (Bruce Bergman N7HAW)
nosc!     /              /
scgvaxd! /     log-hb!--/         5959 Cornerstone Court West
ucbvax! /                         San Diego, CA.  92121-9891

All expressed opinions belong to "Bill the Cat" or me.  :^)

bruceb@telesoft.UUCP ("Bruce Bergman @spot") (09/20/87)