[comp.lang.modula2] M2 compiler for Xenix?

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (10/09/87)

As this is really a sources request, and a highly improbable one at
that, it should probably go to comp.sources.wanted, but having
already posted this request there twice over the past eight month
period, it is time to send it directly to a Modula 2 group...

I have an IBM PC/AT (compatible - made by PCs Limited) running Santa
Cruz Operation (SCO) Xenix release 2.2.1. This is essentially a small
System V Release 2 Unix machine. I am using the Tartan Laboratories
Modula 2 compiler on IBM RT PCs at Carnegie Mellon University, and
have been told by TL that they have no intention of attempting (or
allowing anyone else to attempt) to port their compiler to Xenix.
Does anyone out there know of sources in the public domain for a Unix
Modula 2 compiler, that are hopefully portable?

I will summarize to the net, so please respond to me.

Thanks!

Jay Libove
Arpa:   jl42@andrew.cmu.edu	Bitnet: jl42@drycas.bitnet
UUCP:   ...!{uunet, ucbvax, harvard}!andrew.cmu.edu!jl42
UUCP:   ...!{pitt | bellcore} !darth!libove!libove

Disclaimer: I don't tell my employers what I think...

jl42+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jay Mathew Libove) (10/10/87)

cornwell@NRL-ISERV1.ARPA (Mark Cornwell) (10/15/87)

   From: Jay Mathew Libove <PT!andrew.cmu.edu!jl42+@cs.rochester.edu>
   Subject:      M2 compiler for Xenix?
   Comments: To: info-modula-2@ucf1vm
   To: Ken Yap <info-modula-2-list@cs.rochester.edu>

[...]

Jay, you are the first other person I've heard of who is intent on
using Modula-2 on a PC running Xenix.  I have a project here at NRL
that is procuring a Modula-2 compiler for Xenix from Logitech for that
purpose.  If you can get a compiler that runs on the host you have, do
you still require that sources be available?  I don't know Logitech's
policy on releasing source code, but I have seen other companies license
there code for a reasonable fee.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.  So far I am the only one
I know of planning to use the Logitech Modula-2 for Xenix.  I'd like to
make contacts with others of the same bent.

-- Mark Cornwell
   cornwell@nrl-css.arpa
   (202) 767-6698