[comp.lang.modula2] Looking for efficient compiler for IBM PC

bradley@utgpu.UUCP (10/21/87)

We have been attempting to convert a program written in Turbo
Pascal to Modula-II, and have purchased Logitech's version.
Currently, the size of the resulting object code, and the speed
of the program is leaving LOTS to be desired (the program is about
4-5 times as big, and runs significantly slower).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the problem.  Possible solutions:
(1) what we might be doing wrong in conversion
(2) what other compilers we should be looking at.

Thanks very much for your help!

                       ... John Bradley
                           University of Toronto Computing Services
                           uucp: ...!utgpu!bradley
                           bitnet: bradley at utoronto

maner@andy.bgsu.EDU (Walter Maner) (10/21/87)

>Date:         20 Oct 87 21:10:59 GMT
>From: BRADLEY <mnetor!utgpu!bradley@uunet.uu.net>

>We have been attempting to convert a program written in Turbo
>Pascal to Modula-II, and have purchased Logitech's version.
>Currently, the size of the resulting object code, and the speed
>of the program is leaving LOTS to be desired (the program is about
>4-5 times as big, and runs significantly slower).

>I'd appreciate any thoughts on the problem.

The new release of the Logitech compiler (the one that just began
shipping three weeks ago) includes an optimizer which prunes away
unreachable code and performs the usual code optimizations.  I
understand it makes a huge difference.  I do not know if Logitech's
Turbo Pascal to Modula2 translator has also been improved in this
new release but, if it has, then you have an additional reason to
upgrade.

-----
CSNet   : maner@research1.bgsu.edu               | CS Dept    419/372-2337
UUCP    : {cbatt,cbosgd}!osu-cis!bgsuvax!maner   | BGSU
Generic : maner%research1.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net  | Bowling Green, OH 43403
Opinion : If you are married, you deserve a MARRIAGE ENCOUNTER weekend!