[comp.lang.modula2] Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted

johnh@wheaton.UUCP (John Doc Hayward) (11/09/87)

We are going to try modula-2 as an intro to cs course.  I would appreciate
recomendations on text books on this type of course.  Students background
would range from no previous programming experince to 1 year of high school
pascal background.

Thanks in advance.  johnh...
UUCP: ihnp4!wheaton!johnh                    telephone: (312) 260-3871 (office)
Mail: John Hayward Math/Computer Science Dept. Wheaton College Wheaton Il 60187
       Act justly, love mercy and walk humbly with your God. Micah 6:8b

CFAJS@ECNCDC.BITNET (11/13/87)

1(* From:         John Doc Hayward *)
                <ihnp4!laidbak!spl1!wheaton!johnh@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> *)
(* Subject:      Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted  *)

CFAJS@ECNCDC.BITNET (11/13/87)

(* From:         John Doc Hayward *)
                <ihnp4!laidbak!spl1!wheaton!johnh@ucbvax.berkeley.edu> *)

(* We are going to try modula-2 as an intro to cs course. *)

I have tried several Modula-2 systems on the IBM PC family, and I have
yet to find one I would be willing to try to teach to novices.  Does
the question imply that there is such a system?

What is it and is there a version inexpensive enough for students
to buy?

Tony Schaeffer, Eastern Ill. Univ.   Charleston Ill.

MFELDMAN@GWUVM.BITNET (Mike Feldman) (11/16/87)

I have no big problems with the one from Modula Corp in Provo, Utah.
I haven't tried teaching freshmen from it. I guess the biggest
problem is that it has no integrated editor. But ModCorp will
allow you to copy and redistribute the compiler to students for a very
low fee (call them for details). The tutorial in the front of their
documentation is a reasonable discussion of Modula-2 amd libraries.

Configuring the compiler for a 2-floppy system is not a job for
a novice. What I have done is prepare a reasonable 2-floppy package
which I allow students to copy.

In both the Modula-2 and Ada worlds the compiler builders have
implicitly declared that their languages ain't for babies, by
building such poor student-oriented packages. Those of us who
want to teach real languages from CS1 forward have an up-hill
battle to fight.