[comp.lang.modula2] Tartan Labs M2 compiler

wpnst@cisunx.UUCP (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) (12/11/87)

I posted a message at the beginning of the term about the Dec Modula2
compiler on our Ultrix system.

Well, the instructor gave up with that, and called Tartan Labs, a local
(Pittsburgh) Software firm.

The compiler was installed with no problem in about two weeks, and
I, as well as the other students, are very pleased with it.

It is a bit slow as it compiles, but it is well worth the wait.  Any
complilation errors are well explained, and possible 'fixs' are
suggested by the compiler.  Similar, but better, to 'pi.'

Any execution errors are also well explained.
For example, if you try to dereference a NIL pointer, the program
will tell what line, procedure, and modula the statement was in.
No core dumps, tahnk god!

I don't know the adress of Tartan labs, but I know it is located somewhere
in Pittsburgh, close to our campus.

I would suggest the compiler to anyone serious in using Modula2 on
a Unix/Ultrix system.  I would also check with Tartan labs for
Mod2 compliers for other systems.  Almost sure they would have them.

--
Bill 'Deus' Nixon  		One of the Univ. Of Pgh  ZETS !
mail :	wpnst@pittvms.BITNET

dehart@darth.UUCP (Ed DeHart) (12/13/87)

> Well, the instructor gave up with that, and called Tartan Labs, a local
> (Pittsburgh) Software firm.
>
> The compiler was installed with no problem in about two weeks, and
> I, as well as the other students, are very pleased with it.

> I don't know the adress of Tartan labs, but I know it is located somewhere
> in Pittsburgh, close to our campus.

	Tartan Labs
	461 Melwood Ave.
	Pittsburgh,  Pa. 15213
	(412) 621-2210
	Contact: Bernice Cerasaro (cerasaro@tl-20b.arpa)

> I would suggest the compiler to anyone serious in using Modula2 on
> a Unix/Ultrix system.  I would also check with Tartan labs for
> Mod2 compliers for other systems.  Almost sure they would have them.

	They also support the IBM RT and Sun 3 products although you may have
to pull teeth to get them to sell these products.  A few internal benchmarks
show their Modula2 and Ada compilers generating better results than the
Sun C compiler.  Since their main effort is with Ada products the C and Modula2
compilers are not promoted.  I think the prices for the Vax C and Vax Modula2
compilers were dropped to something under $400.

		Ed DeHart

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (12/14/87)

In article <5908@cisunx.UUCP> wpnst@cisunx (Bill 'Deus' Nixon) writes:

[praise for Tartan's M2 compiler]

>I don't know the adress of Tartan labs, but I know it is located somewhere
>in Pittsburgh, close to our campus.

	Tartan Labs
	477 Melwood Avenue
	Pittsburgh
	Pa 15213

	+1 412 621 2210

>I would suggest the compiler to anyone serious in using Modula2 on
>a Unix/Ultrix system.  I would also check with Tartan labs for
>Mod2 compliers for other systems.  Almost sure they would have them.

Addendum:

As well as excellent error diagnostics, the compiler checks for consistency
across separate compilation boundaries, and, under Unix, can generate
Makefiles automatically from the IMPORT graph.